Avanti 'Due Cento'!

mfg

What body part failed on the Studebaker Avanti known as the 'Due Cento' during one of its high speed runs at Bonneville?

1) Radiator air scoop......2) Aerodynamic rear fender skirts......3) Right 1/4 window......or.....4) Hood

20 hours ago, Stacey said:

I'm only guessing but the 1/4 glass would be something that could easily fail I would think.

I agree...but unfortunately that wasn't the body part that failed:(

Any other thoughts on this one?

I would think the fender skirts...if they weren't installed entirely flush with the body then airflow could pull them off or turbulence from inside the tire well could force them to fail.

1 hour ago, Gunslinger said:

I would think the fender skirts...if they weren't installed entirely flush with the body then airflow could pull them off or turbulence from inside the tire well could force them to fail.

Good thought!....however, the skirts did not fail!:(

Any other ideas here?

1 hour ago, bob caser said:

Attached is a photo taken by me in 1965 of the Due Cento in a parking lot next door to Paxton Products. The hood is in place and the car was for sale at the time.

Bob Caser

Due Cento.jpg

Nice (rare) photos!......The hood top skin was  probably re-bonded by this time.

PS.....Looks like engine missing.....I wonder how much $$$$ the Granatellis wanted for the car??:huh:

Edited by mfg