avanti air conditioning

Have a 63 Avanti R1 with air conditioning from factory (I have heard that all a/c was aftermarket even if from factory?). It aparently shorted out, suddenly with no power to control, no blower, no compressor respone to switch. Even more strange, the heater blower now blows fuse when turned on now. It's easy to understand the heater motor, as it has dragged on startup for some time, but the a/c went out first. Seems odd that they would possibly both be on the same circuit. I can't figure how to get to the a/c blower as it is behind the evaporator. I have a wiring diagram that indicates a hot lead from the switch to the a/c but I can't find any wire that appears run in this path. I suspect that these may have been wired differently depending upon where it was done.

Does anyone have access to info on this, a place to direct me? If it turns out to be needed, source for a new a/c blower motor?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

To my knowledge ( 40 years of Avanti ownership ) the heater bower circut is fused in the fuse box and has nothing to do with the A/C.

On my car, the A/C power is fused in an inline fuse holder ( glass barrel fuse ) and ,as I recall, the fuse holder is located just above and just to the right of the parking brake assembly.

Hope this helps

John

The AC was a Studebaker designed system that used a York Compressor and components that originated with the "Big Three". It was not aftermarket. The Heat and AC are not integrated like todays modern systems. I would start with checking the AC and Temperature Control switches. Also, make sure the system is charged. It should not be too hard for a reputable AC shop to tell you what is wrong and give you an estimate.. The unit is very simple. As for the Heater - sounds like your motor is shot. This forum has a section that deals with replacing it.

Let's be honest --Studebaker Avantis tend to run hot. It is not uncommon for that heat to ruin AC hoses and lines. You may have a leaking or blocked hose or two or a clogged condensor. I've owned four Avantis since 1970. It is possible to get the system to work correctly, even after 50 years. However, hooking up a cheap recharge kit is usually not the answer.

Edited by abasile

• 2 years later...

I realize this is a pretty old string, but I was impressed that abasile knows a lot about these systems. On 29 March 2013 he posted "The AC was a Studebaker designed system that used a York Compressor and components that originated with the "Big Three"."

Can you, abasile, or someone else tell me how I can find an expansion valve for the system in my 63 Avanti? My local A/C shop determined that it is leaking - the rest of the system is good - but can't find the valve through his usual "sources". Neither do my good friends Carl and Herman Thoms of Studebakers West know of a cross reference. If the system is standard Big Three, I hope to find the part at NAPA or somewhere similar, if I can say its from a known system.

A NOS Expansion valve just sold on E Bay. Sorry you missed that one. Now, I have no idea If this firm can help you ,but I'd suggest you contact Old Air Products in Ft. Worth Texas. 817 231 2665

John

That's the one !!

My friend with a 1965 Mustang with factory A/C got his parts from this firm!

Thanks, JLBKY and avantifired. My Avanti buddies in our local SDC Chapter suggested I start with Myer's Studebaker. John there said he's got a replacement which seems to work as "no one as returned one yet". It on its way to me. I'll keep you posted.

• 3 years later...
On 6/4/2019 at 2:35 PM, Ton said:

How many Av-anti's were built with "factory air "

Answering that would require analyzing all Avanti production orders, and I don't think anyone has done that to that level of detail.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2019 at 2:35 PM, Ton said:

How many Av-anti's were built with "factory air "

Thanks to George Krem for the following information.

1963      874     Auto - 772       4 Speed - 91     3 Speed - 11

1964      222     Auto - 196       4 Speed - 23     3 Speed - 3

On 6/8/2019 at 6:07 AM, Skip Lackie said:

learn something every day here.  For whatever reason, I'd been thinking only the first seventy or so '63s came with 3-speed transmissions.  So there were more than three '64 3-speeds?

jack vines

• 2 months later...

Does someone know where I can find an A/C blower variable speed switch for my 63 Avanti R1 with factory A/C?  Searching 'air conditioner switch' on the SI website, it brings up one part # (1552649) showing 3 applications - 61/62 Lark and Hawk, and 63/64 truck.  SI is usually very good in identifying parts that also work on Avantis, so my guess is that 1552649 won't work. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.