weatherstriping

dannyv

I have owned a 1987 Avanti for almost ten years. In 2002, I took my Avanti to the new Avanti factory in Villa Rica Ga. for a make over. Big mistake, the paint job was a disaster and the weatherstriping around the door and windows was wrong , it leaked. I have keep my car in garage until the last year when I brought my car to our second home in Fl. Unfortunately my home in Fl does not have a garage. I now have severe water leaks when it rains. I have taken the wrong weatherstriping off the car. I am looking for a replacement weatherstrip for my car. Can someone please provide me with information concerning this matter? Thank you, Danny

Danny,

I have an 89 convertible.

I suggest www.steelerubber.com 800-447-0849 or Restoration Specialties...814-467-9842

If they have no record of what was used on the 87 convertible I could send you a picture of what is on my '89 convertible, (and a crossectional drawing so they can match it.)

Since my car is on a different chassis than yours I do not know how this might change the top and the rubber seals. Would be nicer for you to have info from an 87 convertible owner..

Send me your email address if you are interested in what my cars has for rubber. My car has the original rubber. mgrutza@gmrsales.com

Danny, I have what you need. Do you still have the aluminum extrusion the weather strip mounts into? (on the top).

Brad

Greetings, My Avanti is a coupe, and I think that the aluminum extrusion are still there? The reason I say this is because on the top of the window is a strip that is mounted to the roof and on the back side there is a curved aluminum channel, as best that I can describe it. The article window is enclosed in a chrome wrap around encasement, which when rolled up comes into contact with the two sides, front and back and the top which is the roof. I hope this is understandable, best I can do in describing what I have got. Danny

danny:

I have an '88 Coupe and the rubber (from windshield post - to top of door opening - to rear pillar) is exactly the same as the Chevy Monte Carlo and is ONE piece. Note - some waterleaks can come from imperfect window alignment. Double note - if you have a lot of water on the floor below the dashboard the leaks may be coming from the windshield post (check that the windsheild post and windshield have NO gaps. My passenger-side post was totally rusted-out (tip - check the interior post leather for signs of something going on underneath the leather and foam padding)!

Bill

I have new weatherstrip from the manufacturer that originally made it for Avanti, and the documentation to prove it. But I have a limited supply, unless they are willing to run off more. I don't know if they still have the extrusion dies.

Greetings, in response to the email from gentlemen who has the weather strip, please contact on my email address: dan16_43@hotmail.com, I really would like to talk to you about what you have, like to confirm that it will work and are you interested in selling it? Danny