loose door handle

RickHC

I have a 1989 convertible with a drivers side exterior door handle coming loose. Is the procedure for removing the interior door panel beyond an amatuer? Any special tools required. It has power mirror controls in the door panel.

You just need the right tools. It will take about 20-30 minutes..I did this last yr to replace my window motor, window wipes and rubber all around..

You need to :

1. pull the inner door open lever off its mounting shaft using the special tool. Note it's position on the shaft. The lever is retained with a "C" clip, NAPA has the tool to remove the clip. Snap-On Part # A-159.TTell the auto parts guy you need to remove the inner door panel door lever. Send me your email and I will send a pic of the tool.

2. remove the arm rest. There are 3 screws or bolts to remove. Look at the bottom side of the arm rest and you will see 3 openings in the leather, 1 up high where you grip the handle to pull the door closed, and 2 holes on the bottom of the arm rest where your elbow sits. These screws/bolts are recessed. They might be large head phillips screws or 3/8" hex head bolts. My car had Phillips screws.. If yours are bolts use a deep socket and 3/8 or 1/4 drive handle.

3. remove the 4 visible screws on the door panel, 2 at the back edge and 2 at the front edge of the door panel

4. remove the screws that have their heads covered by carpet at the bottom of the door panel. This takes some patience. Just pull the edge of the carpeting up that is on the door panel bottom to exposed the screw heads. The screw heads are all around the carpet edge, top edge and bottom edge of the carpet.

5. Unscrew the door lock/unlock "chrome " knob at the top rear of the door panel

Once the above is done you can pull the bottom of the panel away from the door. Now lift the whole panel up about 2 inches so the top of the inner panel clears the top of the inside door frame. Once the panel is loose set the panel on a cardboard box that is the same height as the bottom of the door, and let the panel rest against the inside dr frame. There are wires to disconnect now. Locate the electrical connector at the back of door lock switch. Pull the electrical connector straight, off the back side of the door lock switch. Then locate the electrical connector for the mirror switch. You might have to pull the wires from the openings in the inner door frame to get to the connectors. Disconnect the mirror connector and the panel should be completely loose from the car. The door lock switch and mirror switch stay mounted on the panel you are removing.....

Voila... QED

Peel back the "not so clear" plastic sheet/cover that is glued to the inner door frame to access all the mechanicals in side the door.

I may have forgotten something so feel free to contact me...847-370-4350

While you have the panel off I suggest you get some silicone spray. Clean first, then spray up the door lock/open mechanism, key lock, window mechanism, window spring, and window tracks, so all work better. If you have any door rattles be sure to see that the mechanism pieces are tight and have sleeving where they contact other components in the door.

When putting the panel back on, do not overtighten tighten the panel screws. The fiberglas inner door frame is not steel!!. It does not take kindly to overtightening.

I forgot.... the electrical connector at the bottom rear of the door panel, for the interior light mounted in the door panel. Disconnect this connector when the all screws are removed from the carpeting and when you pull the bottom of the panel away from the door frame. Disconnect these wires before lifting the door panel off the door frame.

Rick & Michael.

Just got a 1989 convertible. Ending VIN is 526. We should compare experience.

Dave Pyle • dap8@comcast.net or 713 464 6717

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Michael. Just the info I needed. I purchased my red convertible also, with grey interior. I think that's rare. I would like to compare notes and experiences also, (562) 423-0148, rhcr@charter.net. By the way, the last three of the vin are 508. I put it in wrong on my first posting. Thanks again. By the way, what was your source for the rubber and window wipes. My car has been sitting for years, and they are shot.

Edited by RickHC