TRANSMISSION TALK- 700 R 4,//200 4R,//FMX

studequest

Who out there has swapped their original transmission for any of the following:

1. 700 R4

2. 200 4R

3. FORD FMX

Can you share your build experience regarding: Any info regarding problems, costs ultimate results is greatly appreciated

1. WHAT IS THE BEST FIT

2. WHAT BRACKETRY DID YOU HAVE TO MAKE OR PURCHASE AND FROM WHERE

3. WHAT DID YOU DO WITH YOUR REAR END

4. WHAT DID YOU DO WITH YOUR DRIVE SHAFT

5. WHERE DID YOU SOURCE YOUR TRANSMISSION OR DID YOU FIND A CORE AND HAVE IT REBUILT

6. RECOMMENDED VENDORS FOR NEEDED PARTS

Your Power Shift is basically an FMX

Fairborn or Myers have adapter plates for a Stude engine 

Exhaust has to be modified, as the 700/200 are wider

Driveshaft length is around 54"

Works well with a 3:54 rear

200 has better gear ratios than a 700

14 hours ago, studequest said:

Thanks Silverstude

It strikes me the FMX is the easier option

What mods are required? Starter, torque converter, drive shaft?

Thanks

Keith

Replace your Power Shift with a later (67-73) FMX?   I'd think you'd have to use your Stude input shaft to match the converter and that would be about it. The current starter is fine.  The dimensions are the same, so the Driveshaft should work ok.    I believe the FMX was also used to develop the Ford AOD, so you might be able to go further with this.

In process of wrapping up the installation of 700R4 in 63 R1. Adapter came from Meyers, starter is Jeep, fabricate new transmission rear mount, install Chevy front yoke shorten drive line, have to notch trans tunnel cause servo cylinder hits it (not necessary if running a 200R4) , convert shift selector from 12DRP to 123DRP , relocate brake light switch under dash and use Delco switch D850A, need B&M lockup controller #70244 ( there are ways to get around this) , Throttle valve hookup depends on what carb you are running, fab new exhaust, . conversion like this you will run into little things here and there, time consumer.

From my experience, I have a R1 Avanti with a FMX transmission done many years ago it it works well. Starts of in first rear and shifts perfectly into drive. These transmissions use a vacuum modulator for shift control rather than the stock Studebaker linkage control . Less problems smoother shifting.

I have another Avanti restomod with a Chevy engine and a 200r4 transmission. While not the latest state of the art automatic transmission it is a fine functioning overdrive that improves acceleration and provides a quiet cruising speed with a 3:25 rear gear.

I have noticed in a previous post your mention of high console and shifter heat.  If you are thinking about a trans swap, I would select the 200r4 as it will reduce highway RPM and if you are spending money it will not cost that much more over doing a FMX swap . If you do pull the transmission for either swap I recommend insulating the transmission tunnel with new technology heat product, between the transmission and the floorboard. Using Dynamat inside the car is fine for sound but not heat. I have had a twin turbo 700 horsepower engine at one time in my restmod and learned how to cure Avanti cooling and heat soak issues.

Bob Caser

Thanks Bob:  A trans shop indicated the Bell Housing on the FMX was huge and would require a lot of fab

On the FMX what do you use for a shifter.  Do you need a different starter and a cable for the Carb?

They were not fans of the 200r4..Wondering what others feel.

From another post I see the 700 R4 requires a lot of fab  If I get ready to do this could I get your contact phone NumbeR

We just rebuilt our torque converter and increase the stall speed.  I have a brand new engine and I have some performance tweaks I can do

If this does not increase performance, I will consdider the swap.  I have a 331 rear end

I am told you should go to 373 for the 700 R4

what did you use for your FMX

Keith

As always everyone is entitled to their opinions, my Ford transmission was built for me by Jon Metzker, who is still around Orange County Studebaker happenings. There are a variety of bell housings available for the Ford family of transmissions but I do not know of any that would not work in a Avanti.  The 200r4 has powered many hi horsepower cars at the drags but some feel it is a inferior transmission.

Tweaking a R1 for off the line performance in my opinion is a waste of money. I raced a 383 powered Plymouth with my macho sounding exhaust and solid lifter cam making all the right noises. The result was the Plymouth blew my doors off ! The time October of 1963 with my brand new Avanti which I still own. I found other cars to purchase to go drag racing with. I love Avant'is and have never been without one but it takes big rear gears to launch one. I have several hi performance cars and have worked in the industry for the past 50 years.  My everyday driver is a Volkswagen Golf , plenty of performance at a cheap cost and blends in well with traffic in Southern Californi and it turns 14 seconds in  quarter mile.

Contact me at mrbobinc@sbcglobal .net and I will forward you my phone number.

Bob Caser

On 4/22/2020 at 9:19 PM, navye8 said:

In process of wrapping up the installation of 700R4 in 63 R1. Adapter came from Meyers, starter is Jeep, fabricate new transmission rear mount, install Chevy front yoke shorten drive line, have to notch trans tunnel cause servo cylinder hits it (not necessary if running a 200R4) , convert shift selector from 12DRP to 123DRP , relocate brake light switch under dash and use Delco switch D850A, need B&M lockup controller #70244 ( there are ways to get around this) , Throttle valve hookup depends on what carb you are running, fab new exhaust, . conversion like this you will run into little things here and there, time consumer.

I might say that the only reason I used 700 was because it was setting on garage floor looking for a home. I think the 200R4 would be better because of smaller size or maybe a AOD

2 hours ago, navye8 said:

I might say that the only reason I used 700 was because it was setting on garage floor looking for a home. I think the 200R4 would be better because of smaller size or maybe a AOD

My 83 was originally equipt with a 700R4 and it fit so there is room in the 63/64's I would think. I replaced it with a 200R4 witch, of course, fit better.