Tires

Guest dapy

In anticipation of selling my re-engined 1964 R2 I want to replace the old tires.

Those on the car are 'no name' radials P205/75R 15 97S. What is a modern black wall radial replacement?

Does the car have the original rims? If so, that restricts options for tires. P205/75R15 is as close to original size tires as you can find and it's limited finding them. Going to a P215/75R15 will give you a lot more options and they should fit fine. I wouldn't worry about the speedometer being out of calibration as the cars were not known for accurate calibration when they were new.

Tire sellers are running sales continually so finding a set shouldn't be an issue. I just saw an ad in this morning's paper from Pep Boys that they're selling certain lines "Buy 3, Get 1 Free". That's a gimmick to sell complete sets and works out to 25% off each tire. Other retailers will do similar.

If you are indeed going to sell your Avanti....Please put on white-wall tires; as back in the day (yes I'm that old) I nevever saw an Avanti without white-wall tires and the next owner is almost certainly going to want them on his/her new Avant. I put on 1" wide white stripe Firestone radials on mine. If you go with the 215 width tire you should go with a wider rim wheel 6.00" or 6.25" wide) as the 215 is too wide for the stock 5" Stude rim. Good luck selling your car & remember....don't give it away, a '63 R2, serial number #4 just sold at auction (condition #1) for $74,800

It has the narrow white stripe and with my gold color car I would rather have black sides. I don't plan to give it away since I just spent big bucks on engine/Paxton rebuild, and other mechanical improvements. If "1" is concours mine is a "2" and works. Send me a photo of connection with the one which sold for $74K. Dave Pyle dap8@comcast.net.

Check the auction results for GOODING AUCTIONS held around Jan 18th. The car was the 4th one built but a condition #1 is a car which most people would not drive until they have collected a bunch of trophys. A number #2 car is a fine restoration or a fabulous survivor (as is mine #5255). I always wanted a car with red-line tires BUT the Avanti never had them as they were built before those came out. As I said before, you might not like the white stripe BUT the next buyer almost certainlty will

For what it's worth...remember the Avanti was a high-dollar car when new and almost certainly would have come with WSWs.

But 50 years on, if the car has mods (say wheels or paint color) those looking for a pure stock Avanti wouldn't consider it, so BSWs might be okay to a new buyer.

Edited by J Boyle

Appreciate your comment. The 'sticker' price for my 1964 R2 was $5346.79. Original equipment tires are described as "670 4 WHT 500 NYLON", and were a $47.91 option.

I would guess mine is the 'fabulous surviver', but authenticity has been lost with repainting and a later interior. Since it is a 'driver', and not a concours car, how should it be rated? A (presumably) better R2, recently $45K listed at eBay, got a high bid in the low $20's and did not sell.

Dear Dapy - I'm glad you didn't sell !! Too many of us are willing to sell these ultra rare cars too cheaply !! Like I said, my #5255 has had only a sinlge repaint in 1988 & the door jambs & engine compartment & trunk are still original paint - I defy you to see a difference! If we hold on to these beauties the value will go up. Take the Chrysler 300's; it took to the late '80's but they finally have "come of age"!

I believe that we are on the edge of the "Avanti escalation"......so hang in there folks !!

I have not listed my car, but I intend to. I will be lucky to get what I have invested in the car and, yes, it is a thing of beauty.

Further comment on the Studebaker Avanti market...fewer for sale now than in the last 18 months. Still the escalation you suggest has not taken place. The price range for a superior Studebaker 'driver' is still $20K to $30K from individuals and somewhat higher for dealers. I have two Avantis and can only drive one at a time.

No Blackwall Tires? There is a photo of Sherwood Egbert standing next to a car carrier filled with the new 1963 Avanti. Of the ten cars on the trailer -- two have blackwall tires. It is a high resolution picture, so it won't load on this forum. The whitewalls were an option and not everyone ordered them.

Followed doctor's orders. Did not replace the white stripe tires and the car in all its glory is at eBay...R4888 R2. Solid gold. Current Avanti owners get a discount.

• 6 months later...

Thought I'd comment on my recent experience based on all the different forum comments about wheels and tires for the Studebaker Avanti. I installed the 6" Crown Vic wheel with 205/75-15. WHY 205's? Being an engineer I agonized over the dimension of the 205's VS the 215's. I wanted to replicate the 6:70 Dia. too.

I have done a lot of tire comparisons over the years based on manufacture specs only to find out there are significant differences between manufactures with same specs and this includes functional diameter (I should say radii) . The other unknown but very critical dimensions are tread and carcass width. It's these two later characteristics few discuss in the forums but are very critical on an Avanti. I've seen front fenders broken because of tire interference when wheels were turned while backing up when using the 215's. Sure they look better. The Avanti's visual profile benefits well with the larger tires. I really wanted to use 215's. But after installing the 205's, there is no way I would use a 215. With the 205's I have about 5/8 and 3/4inch sidewall clearance on the rear fenders. That's as close as anyone should be. As for diameter difference. In my case it was a plus. My speedo was 3MPH high at a GPS indicated 60MPH when using the 6:70 tires. With the 205's the speedo is spot on at all speeds. So from this anecdotal experience it appears there is about a 3MPH speed difference going from a 6:70 to a 205.

While looking for tires I went to Coker and Universal tires. I wanted white side walls. Their $146 and $160 something price per tire was a bit steep for what I call general purpose passenger grade tires. I found virtually the same tire at a local NTB tire service center for $61. I live about 5 miles from Universal tire. But guess where I purchased the tires. I am not a penny pincher, and I want to support the locals but when I can save over $400 I have to go there. This is a chain tire service dealer also under the name of Tire Kingdom, Big OTires, Merchant's Tire and Auto Centers.

TT

I would also like to plug Discount Tire. When I get a (new) old car I take it to my nearby favorite so they can advise me whether those on the car are safe.

With several Avanti II's that I've seen there are chips and cracks at the outside top center of front fenders. I now assume that tire size caused that.