ANY TIPS ON HOW TO TIGHTEN UP MIRRORS

GLENNON

19 minutes ago, GLENNON said:

My 63 R1 is just about ready to be put back on the road. I have the original mirrors but they are loose and will not stay in position. Is there a way to tighten the mirror face with out breaking the mirror?

I will assume that you are referring to exterior mirrors.   If you search there are other threads/topics here covering the problem that include pictures.  You need to remove the mirror itself, then depending on whether the ball mount has screws or not, tighten that plate and reinstall the mirror (or a new mirror face).    

I had the same problem and tried the solution where I removed the mirror glass, used stainless steel wire as described above, then glued in a new piece of mirror glass. It held for a while, but eventually loosened again. So then I just bought a repro Stratovue mirror, installed it, and it is great. And it looks original. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is not my discovery, as I saw it somewhere else for tightening the inside mirror.  I cut two small pieces of fairly fine sandpaper that could fit into the ball joint of the mirror stem.  I glued the sandpaper smooth side to smooth side with a drop of super glue.  Then inserted the sandpaper into the ball joint and tightened as usual .  The set up gave enough friction to hold the mirror in place.