Correct battery for 63 Avanti's

Jim Olson

what is the most correct battery available that will fit in the correct underhood postion? I have a a correct shape battery now but it's 9" tall. Too tall for the mounting brackets and it actually doesn't let the hood close correctly, the hood hits the battery when closing. I've heard that there is possibly a retro kit for a conventional battery and some folks have moved thier batteries to the trunk but I want to leave it the way it left the factory. Thanks in advance. Jim O

The correct battery size is a 3EE. Its available through battery warehouses, farm suppliers and industrial suppliers. It was and may still be used in forklifts and other industrial applications. Besides few stock it, the major problem I've seen with them is that none are available in a "high performance" version...just a standard type with no better than a 24-month warranty.

I've seen an Avanti with two 6-volt Optima batteries wired in series to make 12 volts but that's an expensive way to do it. Some have mounted batteries in the trunk. There is a somewhat smaller battery with higher cranking amps from an import some have used but I don't know what make car or battery group size it is. Maybe someone else here will have that information.

Do you have the dimnesions for the 3EE battery? I thought I had the corrrect size 3EE battery but with it's height being 9" it's too tall. All the ones I've seen are 9". 9" is too tall for the mounting brackets also. thanks

Just doing a quick web search it shows a 3EE battery is 8 7/8" high...close enough to call it 9". If that's too tall maybe your car's battery shelf was modified at some point. There shouldn't even be a mounting bracket...the battery sits on the fiberglass shelf with the bolt hold down bolts molded into the 'glass. If there's a bracket under the battery, someone added it...maybe to keep the battery from possibly leaking onto the body. If so, that could make the battery sit too high.

It's possible you purchased or had someone install a 3EH battery. They are about the same width and length but are 9" high. The correct size is 3EE (height is about 8-5/8") and is available at several places. My recently restored avanti has a 3EE Interstate battery the model is called a Workaholic. Tractor Supply will have them in stock probably and your local FLAPS if they don't have one in stock and probably order one.

It's possible you purchased or had someone install a 3EH battery. They are about the same width and length but are 9" high. The correct size is 3EE (height is about 8-5/8") and is available at several places. My recently restored avanti has a 3EE Interstate battery the model is called a Workaholic. Tractor Supply will have them in stock probably and your local FLAPS if they don't have one in stock and probably order one.

I think that is exacly the problem. I just called my buddy that drives the local Interstate battery truck and he's going to drop off a 3EE thanks!!!!!

Edited by Jim Olson

The closest to that I've seen is a local Avanti owner installed two Optima 6 volt batteries in series. Each looks like a small 3EE and fits pretty nicely in the space for the 3EE. It's is an expensive way to do it as Optima batteries...12v or 6v...are not inexpensive. You can replace a 3EE several times for what his installation cost.

Here's a photo of it I took at a recent car show...

post-264-0-18062600-1346359206_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gunslinger

While we're on the topic, does anyone make a sealed (Optima-like) 3EE?

Antique Auto Battery (google website) makes a maintance free battery (gell type like Optima) in a 3EE size with Willard on the side (brand used by Studebaker). They list the dimensions a being 9" tall which gives me a bit of concern so I would contact first and make sure the actual height matches a 3EE battery and not the 3EH battery. The biggest draw back on this battery is price. Last quote I saw was $270 (without shipping). I went with Interstate lead acid battery and can buy almost 3 of them for the price of the Antique Auto Battery.

One other thing I would recomend. .... I purchased this auto absorbing battery mat and trimmed it to fit under my battery. If I do get any linkage or acid this battery mat absorbs it and neutralizes it, protecting the paint finish on the fender inside the engine bay.

http://www.dccarcare.com/battery.html

Antique Auto Battery (google website) makes a maintance free battery (gell type like Optima) in a 3EE size with Willard on the side (brand used by Studebaker). They list the dimensions a being 9" tall which gives me a bit of concern so I would contact first and make sure the actual height matches a 3EE battery and not the 3EH battery. The biggest draw back on this battery is price. Last quote I saw was $270 (without shipping).

That's what I found when I last checked a couple of years ago.

I'll look at the battery mat.

One question, concern: Won't it raise the battery to much to fit?

That's what I found when I last checked a couple of years ago.

I'll look at the battery mat.

One question, concern: Won't it raise the battery to much to fit?

No the mat is not that thick and it is compressed by the weight of the battery. I ordered the black oversized Mat 8" X 20" as I thought the yellow wouldn't look good. Once installed you don't really see the mat. The 20" length is perfect for the 3EE, the 8" width is a little wide so you can either trim it or do as I did and just pull excess up along side of battery between battery and outside fender wall.

According to the AMA Spec's dated 11/30/62, the 1963 battery is a WILLARD No. HDD-3EE, mounted on a shelf, left front inner fender apron.

The battery size (OD) is 7-5/8" H x 4-1/8" W x 19-3/16" L. The permanently mounted hold down 'rods' are 9" H. So......the hold down bracket is approx 3/8" thick, the PAL wing nuts (the proper ones) are not very thick so that leaves approx 3/4" of the threads exposed after the hold downs and wing nuts are installed. stupak

PS: An aftermarket absorbing battery mat will not adversely affect the overall height.

Edited by stupak

• 2 weeks later...

Antique Auto Battery (google website) makes a maintance free battery (gell type like Optima) in a 3EE size with Willard on the side (brand used by Studebaker). They list the dimensions a being 9" tall which gives me a bit of concern so I would contact first and make sure the actual height matches a 3EE battery and not the 3EH battery. The biggest draw back on this battery is price. Last quote I saw was $270 (without shipping). I went with Interstate lead acid battery and can buy almost 3 of them for the price of the Antique Auto Battery.

One other thing I would recomend. .... I purchased this auto absorbing battery mat and trimmed it to fit under my battery. If I do get any linkage or acid this battery mat absorbs it and neutralizes it, protecting the paint finish on the fender inside the engine bay.

http://www.dccarcare.com/battery.html

I have this battery from Antique Auto Battery, and yes it is pricey. It comes with six caps and looks like a acid filled battery, so for those that are wanting a restored car, this looks correct, in my opinion. I use Optima Batteries on my Street Rods and keep them on a charger when not being driven. I've gotten at leat 8 years on some, and as many as 10 on some. I've owned this 3EE for about 3-4 years and keep it on a charger as well. I should point out that Antique Auto says that ONLY the Odyessy Battey Charger will properly charge this battery. The bad news is another $100.00 for the charger. So you are looking at $400.00 +/- total, but if it lasts 8-10 years and there is no acid to leak,( I've had that disaster in my 40 year ownership of this car ! ) in my opinion that's not a bad buy.