Aftermarketr parts for an Avanti II

GAWen

I am looking for a aftermarket tilt steering column for my Avanti. Has anyone done this before? Which brand did you use? What is the model/stock #? aLSO LOOKING TO CONVERT TO Serpintine BELT arrangement WITH a/c. Which model/style has been used, and which works the best and give the maximum clearance. George RQB 1600

There's several tilt steering columns available from makers like Flaming RIver and Ididit. They have paintable units as well as chrome. They have them available in several lengths. No...I haven't used any but I've thought about it.

Check with Summit Racing and talk to their techs...they should be able to give you good advice. You might also check with SpeedwayMotors.com as they're big on aftermarket products for hot rods.

I can give you some advice about a serpentine kit from my own experience. For the money, the GM Performance kit is a good one...you can buy it with and without an ac compressor. The one they supply is a GM R4 rotary compressor. It works very, very well...it will freeze you out of the car. There's a high spot on the idler housing that must be ground down so it can clear the hood...not a big deal but it's necessary. The GM kit also comes with an alternator.

My car originally had the York a/c compressor...changing to the R4 required new fittings made up. You have RQB1600...I have RQB1574...not far apart but I don't know if you have the York compressor or maybe the GM A6 compressor by that point.

The other thing you need to know about a serpentine kit...it works only with a long water pump where the Avanti engine comes with a short water pump...since you have to change the water pump, you must use a reverse flow water pump with a serpentine kit...no matter what brand. You also have to use a reverse rotation fan...maybe even a new fan clutch (I'm not sure if that's directional).

The next issue is the fan shroud...with the longer water pump you have to cut away part of the fan shroud for clearance.

I can say that the GM serpentine kit fits with no interference with anything else in the engine bay...battery, body panels, etc. You will have to change some wiring under the hood...at least I did. The original alternator was on the passenger side of the engine...with the serpentine kit it changed to the left side. No big deal but something to be aware of.

There are serpentine kits available with much more bling...March, Billet Specialties, Zoops among others. They're also much more expensive for that bling. By looking at photos of some of their setups, some appear that they might cause clearance problems with the battery, etc. Some are designed to stay within the width of the cylinder heads. Besides the obvious cost savings, I felt the bling wasn't worth it as the Avanti has a forward opening hood, one can't really see the bling very well anyway.

BTW - if you decide to go with a serpentine kit, I have the fan and clutch I can sell you. I changed to electric fans and no longer need the reverse rotation fan and clutch. They've had little use.

There's several tilt steering columns available from makers like Flaming RIver and Ididit. They have paintable units as well as chrome. They have them available in several lengths. No...I haven't used any but I've thought about it.

Check with Summit Racing and talk to their techs...they should be able to give you good advice. You might also check with SpeedwayMotors.com as they're big on aftermarket products for hot rods.

I can give you some advice about a serpentine kit from my own experience. For the money, the GM Performance kit is a good one...you can buy it with and without an ac compressor. The one they supply is a GM R4 rotary compressor. It works very, very well...it will freeze you out of the car. There's a high spot on the idler housing that must be ground down so it can clear the hood...not a big deal but it's necessary. The GM kit also comes with an alternator.

My car originally had the York a/c compressor...changing to the R4 required new fittings made up. You have RQB1600...I have RQB1574...not far apart but I don't know if you have the York compressor or maybe the GM A6 compressor by that point.

The other thing you need to know about a serpentine kit...it works only with a long water pump where the Avanti engine comes with a short water pump...since you have to change the water pump, you must use a reverse flow water pump with a serpentine kit...no matter what brand. You also have to use a reverse rotation fan...maybe even a new fan clutch (I'm not sure if that's directional).

The next issue is the fan shroud...with the longer water pump you have to cut away part of the fan shroud for clearance.

I can say that the GM serpentine kit fits with no interference with anything else in the engine bay...battery, body panels, etc. You will have to change some wiring under the hood...at least I did. The original alternator was on the passenger side of the engine...with the serpentine kit it changed to the left side. No big deal but something to be aware of.

There are serpentine kits available with much more bling...March, Billet Specialties, Zoops among others. They're also much more expensive for that bling. By looking at photos of some of their setups, some appear that they might cause clearance problems with the battery, etc. Some are designed to stay within the width of the cylinder heads. Besides the obvious cost savings, I felt the bling wasn't worth it as the Avanti has a forward opening hood, one can't really see the bling very well anyway.

BTW - if you decide to go with a serpentine kit, I have the fan and clutch I can sell you. I changed to electric fans and no longer need the reverse rotation fan and clutch. They've had little use.

I used the GM set up when I went to the serpentine belt in

RQB3921.

I replaced all the belt driven accessories. I also had to lower the alternator by modifying the mounting bracket.

I also went to an electric fan and a four core and 16 fins to the inch radiator.

So far even in the over 100 degree heat I've had no heating problems.

cbk

I am looking for a aftermarket tilt steering column for my Avanti. Has anyone done this before? Which brand did you use? What is the model/stock #? aLSO LOOKING TO CONVERT TO Serpintine BELT arrangement WITH a/c. Which model/style has been used, and which works the best and give the maximum clearance. George RQB 1600

The serpentine belt kit Part# 12497698 is available from any GM dealer and will fit any small block Chevy. Includes all NEW brackets, pulleys, bolts, belt, water pump, power steering pump, alternator and R134a A/C compressor.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm?singlepart=1&partnumber=12497698

Installed on my 1987 Avanti about 5 years ago. GREAT DEAL for less than $800.00!

Jim Wood