'87 A/C

IndyJimW

Well I’m getting ready to dive into the A/C on my ’87 and it scares the heck out of me. If anyone knows how Avanti Motors wired the A/C, I would appreciate the help. I found the original GM compressor clutch plug taped up to the engine harness under the air cleaner, it doesn’t look like it was ever used and the wiring ends at a loose plug near the accumulator. The system wiring is different than a GM system and uses a different A/C control unit on the dash. The air box is a real piece of work; looks like two air boxes were glued together with at least one air flap riveted so as not to move. Someone added an electric fan to the front of the condenser and wired into the compressor clutch. A no-no that probably caused the compressor clutch to fail. I’m going to try to fix the OEM system first, but may try an aftermarket system like Vintage Air if it gives me too many problems.

• 5 years later...

Well I’m getting ready to dive into the A/C on my ’87 and it scares the heck out of me. If anyone knows how Avanti Motors wired the A/C, I would appreciate the help. I found the original GM compressor clutch plug taped up to the engine harness under the air cleaner, it doesn’t look like it was ever used and the wiring ends at a loose plug near the accumulator. The system wiring is different than a GM system and uses a different A/C control unit on the dash. The air box is a real piece of work; looks like two air boxes were glued together with at least one air flap riveted so as not to move. Someone added an electric fan to the front of the condenser and wired into the compressor clutch. A no-no that probably caused the compressor clutch to fail. I’m going to try to fix the OEM system first, but may try an aftermarket system like Vintage Air if it gives me too many problems.

Sooooo, many years later...... did you ever replace the HVAC monstrousity? Cuz I can't see putting this thing back together as originally designed and built ('88 coupe).

I ended up replacing the front of the engine with a GM serpentine belt setup. It came with the new style compressor etc. It worked OK but the system doesn't defrost worth a darn. Replacing the HVAC box with an aftermarket is one of my future projects.

Good luck,

Jim Wood

Sooooo, many years later...... did you ever replace the HVAC monstrousity? Cuz I can't see putting this thing back together as originally designed and built ('88 coupe).