64 Avanti

rcrayjr

I have inherited a 1964 Studebaker Avanti (red on black) and want to sell it. What is the best way/place to advertise the car for sale?? The car is in good condition for being an original 1964, but it needs some mechanical work b/c it has been garaged for 15 years. I do not have the time to put into the car, but I do not want to give it away either! I have my friend put it up onthe lift and check the 'hogs' and they are solid with minimal surface rust. The car has been in the south its entire life.

I would appreciate any and all help! I have attached a few pics.

Thanks, Clint

post-9446-13389961948396_thumb.jpg

post-9446-1338996238152_thumb.jpg

The pics show a very nice car. It doesn't have the "Supercharged" emblems on the sides so it's probably an R1 rather than an R2, but that remains to be seen. A list of options is helpful to determine a reasonable asking price. It doesn't seem to have a/c which may or may not be desirable depending on the potential buyer. An AM/FM radio and/or a tilt steering wheel are fairly uncommon options and add value if present. If you can post more pics...under the hood, the rest of the interior, underneath the car, etc., will be very helpful.

Many things go into it, but more than anything with the possible exception of whether it's supercharged), is condition, condition, condition! Supercharged cars generally are worth more but an excellent condition R1 is certainly more desirable than a poor condition R2.

There's usually Avantis for sale on Ebay...you can get an idea of what they're selling (and not selling) for by watching that for a few weeks. You can advertise in the AOAI magazine or the Studebaker Drivers Club magazine "Turning Wheels". Venues like Craigslist are an option but I don't know how effective that can be for a car like an Avanti.

I really think you should get the mechanical work done before advertising it...you'll know how it runs and it takes some questions out of play that could depress its value.

If you really don't want the car, simply deny the inheritance and pass it on to me!

Many who inherit a long-neglected collector car are disappointed in the market value. Your results may vary.

Decide whether you are willing to make an investment of time and money to attempt to maximize the return or whether you simply want it gone and will take auction value, whatever it turns out to be.

jack vines

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, it is an R-1 The Vin# is R-5162. No A/C, needs new carpet, original am/fm radio, original paint, original headliner, original interior, 67k original miles. Compression is off on a couple cylinders, so I have my mechanic soaking the engine. It is all original to the best of my knowledge.

I have been offered $7,200 for the car, but I feel I would be giving it away at that price.

The pics show a very nice car. It doesn't have the "Supercharged" emblems on the sides so it's probably an R1 rather than an R2, but that remains to be seen. A list of options is helpful to determine a reasonable asking price. It doesn't seem to have a/c which may or may not be desirable depending on the potential buyer. An AM/FM radio and/or a tilt steering wheel are fairly uncommon options and add value if present. If you can post more pics...under the hood, the rest of the interior, underneath the car, etc., will be very helpful.

Many things go into it, but more than anything with the possible exception of whether it's supercharged), is condition, condition, condition! Supercharged cars generally are worth more but an excellent condition R1 is certainly more desirable than a poor condition R2.

There's usually Avantis for sale on Ebay...you can get an idea of what they're selling (and not selling) for by watching that for a few weeks. You can advertise in the AOAI magazine or the Studebaker Drivers Club magazine "Turning Wheels". Venues like Craigslist are an option but I don't know how effective that can be for a car like an Avanti.

I really think you should get the mechanical work done before advertising it...you'll know how it runs and it takes some questions out of play that could depress its value.

If you really don't want the car, simply deny the inheritance and pass it on to me!

Edited by rcrayjr

You'd be shocked for what the AM-FM radio alone would bring!

With fairly low miles and the current premium people pay for unrestored original cars....if you get the engine running and the rest is in serviceable shape (older paint and interior that someone could still live with...nice but of course not perfect)...I'd ask at least $15,000 for it.

Edited by J Boyle

You'd be shocked for what the AM-FM radio alone would bring!

With fairly low miles and the current premium people pay for unrestored original cars....if you get the engine running and the rest is in serviceable shape (older paint and interior that someone could still live with...nice but of course not perfect)...I'd ask at least $15,000 for it.

I couldn't agree more. The AM/FM radio is a very valuable option...especially if it's factory installed. Hopefully a full tune-up and valve adjustment will correct the engine problems. I think $15k is a bottom level to ask for the car if it's all together, original and runs well. Not having a/c is a plus for many...that much less to have problems with, though many would want a/c.

It would be a wise investment to spend $25-$30 to obtain a copy of the car's build sheet from the Studebaker National Museum. It will verify everything the car was factory equipped with. Any other documentation you may have for the car helps as well.

Guest dapy

I have inherited a 1964 Studebaker Avanti (red on black) and want to sell it. What is the best way/place to advertise the car for sale?? The car is in good condition for being an original 1964, but it needs some mechanical work b/c it has been garaged for 15 years. I do not have the time to put into the car, but I do not want to give it away either! I have my friend put it up onthe lift and check the 'hogs' and they are solid with minimal surface rust. The car has been in the south its entire life.

I would appreciate any and all help! I have attached a few pics.

Thanks, Clint

• 2 weeks later...

What's he basing the need for a ring job on? Did he do a compression check and come to that conclusion? If the mileage is only 67k, it doesn't seem likely a rebuild would be necessary if given reasonable care. I know it's been sitting a long time and things can happen.

Stude engines have solid lifters...the valves may be out of adjustment or sticking which can cause one to thing there's ring problems. I would run a can of engine flush through it, change the oil and check all tuneup specs and see how it runs...it may simply need a full tune up to bring it back.

Stude V8's tend to leak oil...sometimes a lot. If it's leaking (and the engine flush may well open up some seals to leakages), the engine may well require disassembly to install all new gaskets and seals...even if it doesn't require a full rebuild such as an overbore and new pistons.

I'm not trying to scare you but I think you'll be ahead of the game to find out exactly what's going on with the car...whether you intend to keep it or sell it. Having accurate information can affect the selling price to a large degree.

• 3 weeks later...

I can speak with only limited experience as I am still a wanna be, I have never owned a Studebaker however this is advice that generally works.

Most recentl,y I put a very well used Suzuki GS1000 back on the road after a long period of poor storage mixed with short runs (I'm not he guily party, just the rescuer). When I started to use it, it had okay compression and horrendously erratic oil consumption. It could run for a couple of tanks of gas and only consume a pint of oil, then in the nextcouple of tanks another pint with each re-fill! Some mornings the start would be with a clean exhaust, the next I was abating the mosquitto population. The bike ran like this for over a year and I was about to give up and do a top end (it has near 100K miles). While my commute covers 10 miles each way on the freeway plus a couple of miles surface streets, evidently I never really cleared the crud that had built up in the rings. A couple of months ago I took the bike out for a weekend run from Pasadena to San Jose on back roads as well as highway. Basically running the bike at varying speeds and loads for hours on end. In short, I must have worked loose the crud in the rings as the oil consumption is now gone.

If you go with Gunny's suggestion (and it's a darned good one), and then take the car for a good long run, she'll probably be good as new. Just change the oil again, you'll be amazed at how much crap will still be ready to come out after the flushing!

On the otherhand, you could just sell me the car for the 7200 you were offered, for that kind of money I think I could handle the months of apologizing to the wife for not getting her permission first.

Kennie B.

I can speak with only limited experience as I am still a wanna be, I have never owned a Studebaker however this is advice that generally works.

Most recentl,y I put a very well used Suzuki GS1000 back on the road after a long period of poor storage mixed with short runs (I'm not he guily party, just the rescuer). When I started to use it, it had okay compression and horrendously erratic oil consumption. It could run for a couple of tanks of gas and only consume a pint of oil, then in the nextcouple of tanks another pint with each re-fill! Some mornings the start would be with a clean exhaust, the next I was abating the mosquitto population. The bike ran like this for over a year and I was about to give up and do a top end (it has near 100K miles). While my commute covers 10 miles each way on the freeway plus a couple of miles surface streets, evidently I never really cleared the crud that had built up in the rings. A couple of months ago I took the bike out for a weekend run from Pasadena to San Jose on back roads as well as highway. Basically running the bike at varying speeds and loads for hours on end. In short, I must have worked loose the crud in the rings as the oil consumption is now gone.

If you go with Gunny's suggestion (and it's a darned good one), and then take the car for a good long run, she'll probably be good as new. Just change the oil again, you'll be amazed at how much crap will still be ready to come out after the flushing!

On the otherhand, you could just sell me the car for the 7200 you were offered, for that kind of money I think I could handle the months of apologizing to the wife for not getting her permission first.

Kennie B.

Thanks for all the advise gentlemen! I really don't have the time to restore the Avanti or fix whatever needs to be fixed... twin 5 year old girls and a job that keeps me on the road leaves me almost no free time! My buddy is letting me store if at his place and I don't want to wear out my welcome, so if someone is interested in the car... I will take $8500 or a close offer! I can email more pics.

Thank again for all the knowledge and advise!

Thanks for all the advise gentlemen! I really don't have the time to restore the Avanti or fix whatever needs to be fixed... twin 5 year old girls and a job that keeps me on the road leaves me almost no free time! My buddy is letting me store if at his place and I don't want to wear out my welcome, so if someone is interested in the car... I will take $8500 or a close offer! I can email more pics.

Thank again for all the knowledge and advise!

Please send the photos and all pertinent information. Is there anything more on the engine condition? Like to know the compression and when/if it has ever been rebuilt. How much have you driven it?

Dave Pyle dap8@comcast.net

713 464 6717

Edited by dapy

• 2 months later...

If the car has nto sold, I too am interested, send pics please toR2avanti64@aol.com thanks, mark

Edited by MARK