Fuel delivery problem?

ddubgandg

I have an '84 Blake Avanti which will start and run for a minure or two and die. It will then just crank and not start. Could this be a fuel filter problem or fuel pump issue?

Any pointers on where to look for the problem from the knowledgable people here would be appreciated.

John Williams

Aptos, CA

I have an '84 Blake Avanti which will start and run for a minure or two and die. It will then just crank and not start. Could this be a fuel filter problem or fuel pump issue?

Any pointers on where to look for the problem from the knowledgable people here would be appreciated.

John Williams

Aptos, CA

John

I'm more inclined to think electrical. Of course you should replace the fuel filter and check fuel pressure first as that could solve the problem. If not I'd check the coil and module in the distributor. Most auto store can do that if you take them in. If you would like to check your own, here's a discussion on doing that http://www.truckforu...istributor.html

There is also a "check engine" light. If that's on and it's drive able have the auto store check for codes. If it's on and you can't drive it then codes can be read by shorting the ALDL connector. Just Google 84 Chevrolet engine codes.

Good luck, Bob

I would try 2 things when the car will not re-start:

1. Check to see if you have spark at the ignition coil when the engine is cranking over, and

2. Look down into carb and see if gas is being delivered when the accelerator linkage is actuated (gas pedal pumped).

If no spark - Further investigate the ignition coil or all components under the distributor cap. There is a resisitor under the cap which drops voltage to thecoil. I think they call it a groundingresistor.

If no gas - I think (but not positive), the carb on the engine has a fuel pump and filter built into it....

Happy hunting.

Just kind of spitballin' here, but it could be spark related (as already mentioned)...the HEI coil can break down over time and act in such an intermittent way. There could be carbon tracking between contacts in the distributor cap or even a crack. The same goes for the rotor. The spark plug wires could be breaking down.

If it's fuel delivery related, the fuel filter could be clogged. If the car is equipped with a sock fuel filter on the pickup in the gas tank, it could be clogged.

The carburetor could also require rebuilding...accelerator pump, floats, leaks, etc. That's probably a computer controlled carburetor...the electronics could be malfunctioning.

About all you can do is start with the basics and work from there...is fuel actually being delivered, is there spark, etc.