Was the 1991 Avanti Based on the 4th Gen Caprice?

CokeBottle

Anyone know for sure? I know the previous Cafaro Avanti's were based on the 3rd generation Caprice's, however the new longer and wider '91 Avanti had the '91 Caprice 5.7L LT1 motor so I'm wondering if the chassis and other mechanicals were also from the '91 Caprice. Thanks.

1991Avanti.jpg

1991Caprice.jpg

Hi CokeBottle,

Nice Car...

I believe that your Avanti used the Camaro/Firebird frame, engine, drivetrain, etc.. General Motors "R" Series.

Good luck.

You're thinking about the later '00-07 Avanti's (a.k.a. AVX). The Cafaro cars were Monte Carlo / El Camino-based with a switch to the Caprice in 1990 when those cars were discontinued. You can get more information at the link below. Unfortunately they do not make it clear if Cafaro did, in fact, utilize the 4th generation Caprices for the '91 Avanti's. I need a knowledgeable source or possibly a former employee to confirm. Thanks.

http://www.avantisou...om/history.html

Edited by CokeBottle

• 4 weeks later...

I must admit, those 91 converts were the best looking converts Avanti built! I saw one at the avanti meet in Naperville a few years back and WOW!!!. The front end looked very nice (the v extended into the bumper nicely) I really think the wider proportions were Spot on in the evolution of the Avanti...it is a shame it all went so wrong.......

Based on the history of 91, U were one of the few Lucky Chosen ones.....

Edited by j the teacher

• 2 months later...

I'm sure it wouldn't take a Chevrolet technician long to make that determination for you - should drive it by a dealership.

However, a bit of analysis wouldn't hurt. Let's see what we (I) know:

1. Because of the DOT regulations, in 90/91 Avanti Motors was not procuring rolling chassis. They bought complete cars, removed the body and built the Avanti on the frame.

2. My 90 4-door was built on the Caprice chassis and has a wheel base of 115.9". The 91 Caprice used exactly the same frame.

3. Camaros do not have a full frame. They have front and rear sub-frames. Because of #1 above, it is highly unlikely that Avanti utilized that design.

4. At the time the 15 1991 Coupes were built, Avanti Motors was having serious financial struggles. It seems probable they would have used a full frame car (did GM make any other full frame cars in 90-91 other than the Caprice - I can't think of any?). Wouldn't surprise me if Avanti shortened the Caprice chassis to fit the Coupe body. What's your wheel base?

5. You could try to contact Greg Lowry, Chef Engineer at Avanti Motors at the time. I think he's listed in the AOAI Roster.

I've been toying with my 90 and slightly modified it.....okay, SIGNIFICANTLY modified it - engine, tranny, rear-end, suspension, brakes, body, paint, etc.

P1010145.jpg

P1010151.jpg

P1010150.jpg

P1010157.jpg

It was always my understanding that the 1991's were produced using "left-over" 1990 chassis.

The 1989 Coupes and convertibles started as a Caprice 5.0. The wheelbase was then shortened six inches to 109 inches. The cut in the frame is under the rear passengers feet.

By going to the 4-Door in 1990, Cafaro did not have to cut the frames anymore.

My 1989 Coupe is 193" long, 72.5" wide, 55" high, and weighs 3550 lbs.