63 R2

GAWen

Saw this one on EBay..http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1963-Studebaker-Avanti-R-2-Project-Car-Solid-HOG-TROUGHS-/360442828798?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item53ec1117fe#ht_6849wt_1165

Nothing about that R2 would suggest that it would be cheap to restore. http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item53ec1117fe

If you want an R2 I'd suggest starting with one in better shape would yield a less expensive and better restoration.

All one needs to do is look at the few interior shots and see the mold and condition indicated. I've looked at a couple of those in Northern Michigan and the sensory overload will stop you cold.

On the other hand if, as described the hog troughs are solid and I'd question that with the mold and moisture damage evident, it could be a good driver with a lot on non-standard parts. But even in that case the cost to get it on the road is high.

Bob

Edited by Avanti83

Sadly, with nice Avantis going for $15K, it doesn't really pay to restore a really bad one...unless you do all or at least most...of the work yourself.

That car has been sitting exposed in that yard for years. The seller is well known throughout the Mopar world. He's a tough person...he knows what stuff is worth and won't budge on prices. If something is rare and hard to find he holds out for more. I'm not saying he's a bad guy...just tough.

I hate to say it as I really dislike seeing Avantis being parted out, but unfortunately that's where that car is heading. Those photos are years old and the car is probably further deteriorated by now. One would be far ahead...dollars and grief-wise...to find a Avanti for $15-$20k in good shape and enjoy that.

If someone wants to buy that car and restore it...more power to them. It's just not economically reasonable but is doable. It only takes money.

That car has been sitting exposed in that yard for years. The seller is well known throughout the Mopar world. He's a tough person...he knows what stuff is worth and won't budge on prices. If something is rare and hard to find he holds out for more. I'm not saying he's a bad guy...just tough.

I hate to say it as I really dislike seeing Avantis being parted out, but unfortunately that's where that car is heading. Those photos are years old and the car is probably further deteriorated by now. One would be far ahead...dollars and grief-wise...to find a Avanti for $15-$20k in good shape and enjoy that.

If someone wants to buy that car and restore it...more power to them. It's just not economically reasonable but is doable. It only takes money.

I know what it costs for a professional frame off restoration on a 1950-62 MG. One winds up with a market value about half the investment. Beauty at a price.

How about 1962-64 Avantis? Few I see for sale appear to be totally restored from, say, al $3000 barn find. From there what does a professional restoration cost? What does Jon Myers charge? Can you find all that you need to do it?

It seems that a 70% driver would be the way to own and enjoy an Avanti. Winning awards is another category of car.

It all depends what you want out of the car. If you want a driver...go for it. If you want a show car, then that's a different thing altogether. A show car is something to enjoy looking at, but you can pretty much forget about driving it...one nick and it's no longer the same. It's kind of like racing...a bit of money can get you to go so fast. A bit more money can get you to go faster. But after a certain point and you want to really go fast, it takes a whole lot of money. To get a 400 point car (the system the SDC uses), it takes a huge investment of time, research, parts and finishing effort to accomplish that. It also makes for a car that must be trailered everywhere, as all the effort goes for naught with road grime, paint nicks, etc.

My own attitude is I want my car to be the best I can reasonably make it and not be afraid to drive it. To me the fun of owning the car is driving it, not looking at it.

How much an Avanti costs to restore is a tough thing to figure. Unless you have the space, tools and ability to do most of the work yourself, you'll probably invest at least double the market value in the car...maybe even more. So much depends on overall condition of the car you start with.

Most restoration experts charge by the hour and send you a bill about every two weeks. That hourly rate doesn't include parts and materials...labor only. If the car takes a month or two years to complete, that's what it takes. Of course, the car isn't being worked on every day all day. Often it's sitting while parts are being sourced, etc.

If you look at the market value of different cars, outside of the price of certain parts, it takes the same labor and effort to restore a genuine L88 Corvette or Hemi 'Cuda than a base model Vette or 'Cuda and there's a huge difference in market value when you're done. Seeing that, it's easy to see why it's not cost effective to restore most Avantis. The market value just isn't there. We restore Avantis out of love for the car and not for the economics and desire to make a profit. It's an emotional effort, not a logical one.

I will echo what Gunslinger has said in his post. I'm in the process of restoring/modification of my 63 Avanti. It was originally an R1 with AC and Automatic. It is now a R2+, Tremec TKO 5 spd, AC with black leather 83 Recaro Avanti II seating. Now has posi-trac, flanged rear axles, 4 wheel disc brakes w/ dual master, AC, Cruise, hidden stereo,etc. The restoration is being done by one of our finest Studebaker vendors and the process has been going on now for 3 years and is very expensive (will be ready for 2012 South Bend Meet). Some on the SDC forum question my sanity as to how much I am investing in it or think it is sinful to alter an original Stude avanti. For me here are my key issues I worked through regarding making my choice and starting this project:

- I have the funds saved up for this project

- 3 years ago(age 52), I had a heart attack and the wife was scared and vulnerable so she suggested I get it restored (she doesn't want to know how much, LOL)

- I'm losing weight, healthy now and anticipate living for a long time, so I intend on driving it and enjoying it as much as possible

- I intended to do the resto myself but due to my job, family, other commitments never had the time so it sat in garage for 5 years

- I will never sell this car, an avanti is my dream car and what I've wanted since the 1st time I every saw one

- Mild & tasteful modifications for performance, safety and comfort.

- I want something I can drive anywhere to shows and meets

- Should compete very nicely in the Stude powered modified category

- I don't care about others viewpoints - its my car and my money

I will echo what Gunslinger has said in his post. I'm in the process of restoring/modification of my 63 Avanti. It was originally an R1 with AC and Automatic. It is now a R2+, Tremec TKO 5 spd, AC with black leather 83 Recaro Avanti II seating. Now has posi-trac, flanged rear axles, 4 wheel disc brakes w/ dual master, AC, Cruise, hidden stereo,etc. The restoration is being done by one of our finest Studebaker vendors and the process has been going on now for 3 years and is very expensive (will be ready for 2012 South Bend Meet). Some on the SDC forum question my sanity as to how much I am investing in it or think it is sinful to alter an original Stude avanti. For me here are my key issues I worked through regarding making my choice and starting this project:

- I have the funds saved up for this project

- 3 years ago(age 52), I had a heart attack and the wife was scared and vulnerable so she suggested I get it restored (she doesn't want to know how much, LOL)

- I'm losing weight, healthy now and anticipate living for a long time, so I intend on driving it and enjoying it as much as possible

- I intended to do the resto myself but due to my job, family, other commitments never had the time so it sat in garage for 5 years

- I will never sell this car, an avanti is my dream car and what I've wanted since the 1st time I every saw one

- Mild & tasteful modifications for performance, safety and comfort.

- I want something I can drive anywhere to shows and meets

- Should compete very nicely in the Stude powered modified category

- I don't care about others viewpoints - its my car and my money

Amen OKC63Avanti!! Everyone has their vices, Avanti's are ours. I don't want a trailer queen, I want one to drive, safely, anywhere I want to go. I know I put a god amount of money in my '76 last year rebuilding the motor, swapping out the tranny for a 200R4, gauges, gas tank, lines, Turner brakes, all new brake lines, and redoing the rear brakes and axle bearings. I know it will go anywhere I want to go, safely. My car, my money, my choice!