Searching for a 63-64 avanti to purchase

63avanti.

Hey Everyone.

Im new to the site here and just started my search for an Avanti. My father was a huge studebaker Fanatic, and had a 64 Avanti back in the day. He has since passed and im now starting my search to buy one in his memory.

Im looking for a 63-64 avanti.... looking to spend up to $8500 (project car that needs some tlc)

are there good places to search?

Thanks,

Doug Wheeler

Edited by 63avanti.

Hey Everyone.

Im new to the site here and just started my search for an Avanti. My father was a huge studebaker Fanatic, and had a 64 Avanti back in the day. He has since passed and im now starting my search to buy one in his memory.

Im looking for a 63-64 avanti.... a project car would be fun but running is always a plus.

Thanks,

Doug Wheeler

Doug

Here are a few suggestions:

Join the Studebaker Drivers Club Forum, it free, and ask around

Go to Ebay, there are always a few for sale but be sure to check them out

Check Craigslist, use a country wide search like searchtempest or themccumbers and type Avanti into cars for sale. You will see quite a few for sale using these tools.

Also join the Studebaker Drivers Club and then ask someone on the forum in the vicinity of any car you are interested to take a look.

The most difficult area to fix are the frame, Steel hog troughs (FRame stiffeners)- and rear cross member. These are expensive to replace and first parts to be careful of.

Good Luck, I own two although newer than 64 but they are great drivers and show stoppers.

Bob

Edited by Avanti83

Hey Everyone.

Im looking for a 63-64 avanti.... a project car would be fun but running is always a plus.

Thanks,

Doug Wheeler

Doug,

I just bought a 1964 R2 and can recommend two others that are currently for sale. I would prefer to discuss by phone. My number 713 464 6717. (Houston) The prior suggestions are good except the listings at the organizations are often cars that have been sold. IMO the most active market is eBay. However tread with care there.

Hey Everyone.

Im looking for a 63-64 avanti.... looking to spend up to $8500 (project car that needs some tlc)

Thanks,

Doug Wheeler

Doug,

Had you said $8500 to start I would have said forget it. If available that would likely be a 'barn find', and after an exhaustive Avanti search I have not seen any.

A 'find' for that price or less would cost $15K to $20K for 'modest' restoration not including the drive train. Always a question of DIY, or paying for the work. The range today for an acceptable driver is $17K to $22K.

Buying your father's Avanti can be like buying any good condition used car... it is acceptable security for a lender if you need a loan. Then the fun begins.

Thanks everyone for the replys.

I know my budget is on the low end but over the months im sure i will be able to expand that.

I've just only started my search and im sure it is going to take me some time to come accross that right one for me.

I appreciate all the comments and knowledge though.

Doug

Thanks everyone for the replys.

I know my budget is on the low end but over the months im sure i will be able to expand that.

I've just only started my search and im sure it is going to take me some time to come accross that right one for me.

I appreciate all the comments and knowledge though.

Doug

Go to the Phoenix craigslist. There is one for sale for 7500. New power train, running gear. Needs paint and interior. Owner is "Walt". It's worth looking into.

Thanks, came across it today. i will have to try and get in touch with him as it looks like a fairly nice car. only issue would be that it is over 1900 miles away and ive never had a car shipped to myself before. wonder what that would even cost...?

Go to the Phoenix craigslist. There is one for sale for 7500. New power train, running gear. Needs paint and interior. Owner is "Walt". It's worth looking into.

Don't feel like you have to buy the first Avanti you look at. Sometimes desire can carry you away before you can think it through. I'm not saying that will happen, but there's more than one out there that may be a good candidate. You really have to look a car over and see what's there and what's not there. Some parts are easily sourced and some aren't. If the frame or the hog troughs are bad you're in for a bad (read that as expensive) time.

Think about what you want in the car and look for that...do you want an R1 or R2? Automatic transmission or manual? A/C or not? Do any of those matter to you? Try and cut down the variables and concentrate on cars that meet what you want. As great a car as an Avanti is to own, it's a car that you can get in deep doo-doo financially if you aren't very careful. If a car would need to be shipped to you, you have to figure that into what you're really paying for the car. If the car is that far away, you can usually find someone in the AOAI or Studebaker Drivers Club in that area who would be willing to look the car over for you. If a seller isn't willing to allow that, I would avoid him...he's trying to hide something or pressure you into an immediate decision.

We're about to hit Spring time...that's when asking prices are up compared to later in the year.

That is a good plan.. I do tend to get a little trigger happy but i should sit down and figure out every little aspect of it., as this is going to be a large investment in the end. ( I am partial to the R2s as that little extra pep would be nice)

Edited by 63avanti.

The first car I bought was a '64 Avanti R1, automatic and ac with 5000 miles on it in Aprill '66. I had the car for 3+ years before selling to get a larger car. Having never lost the love for the Avanti, I got a '76 in Jan '11. Body and styling of the II's are very similar to the '63's and '64's, but also have a more reliable GM drive train. I wouldn't necessarily just focus on '63's and '64's when looking for one.

The first car I bought was a '64 Avanti R1, automatic and ac with 5000 miles on it in Aprill '66. I had the car for 3+ years before selling to get a larger car. Having never lost the love for the Avanti, I got a '76 in Jan '11. Body and styling of the II's are very similar to the '63's and '64's, but also have a more reliable GM drive train. I wouldn't necessarily just focus on '63's and '64's when looking for one.

Very Cool. I was fortunate enough to drive both a 63 and 76 a while ago. As much as i like both i am partial to the 63/64 era... Finding the right one i realize will take time but it will be in memory of my father so it will be worth it.

Very Cool. I was fortunate enough to drive both a 63 and 76 a while ago. As much as i like both i am partial to the 63/64 era... Finding the right one i realize will take time but it will be in memory of my father so it will be worth it.

My Avanti was delivered yesterday. Here is a reality check. Unlikely you will find a drivable 1963-64 for any thing close to $8500. If it is not drivable bringing it home is lots more expensive because it would require 'closed' transport. If it is operable it can go on 'open' transport. For, say, 2000 miles that would cost $1200 or more. Lots of choices of open and closed. You go through a 'broker' who lines it up and to whom you pay a commission.

The best Avanti I know about (a 1964) is about to close on eBay (and will not make reserve). It is what I would have bought and will be ~$20K. All the good advice you are getting here is for today. Tomorrow the choices will change. But unless you are prepared to make a commitment and have the funds all this is old news.

Yes, i realized that $8500 won't get me close to anything nice.. I appreciate the input and advice. at this time i am going to take a step back and figure out everything that i am looking for and re-evaluate my funds and continue my search.

My Avanti was delivered yesterday. Here is a reality check. Unlikely you will find a drivable 1963-64 for any thing close to $8500. If it is not drivable bringing it home is lots more expensive because it would require 'closed' transport. If it is operable it can go on 'open' transport. For, say, 2000 miles that would cost $1200 or more. Lots of choices of open and closed. You go through a 'broker' who lines it up and to whom you pay a commission.

The best Avanti I know about (a 1964) is about to close on eBay (and will not make reserve). It is what I would have bought and will be ~$20K. All the good advice you are getting here is for today. Tomorrow the choices will change. But unless you are prepared to make a commitment and have the funds all this is old news.