Flow-through Ventilation?

Jim78

When I open the fresh air vents on my '78 at highway speed, there is a marked increase in wind noise around the doors. Apparently, this is due to increased pressure inside the cabin flowing out. Opening a vent widow reduces the door noise, but creates its own noise from the turbulence.

I seem to recall hearing that later Avanti models had a vent to create a "flow-through" that provided an exhaust for the cabin air. Is this correct? If so, where was the vent located, and how did it operate? Is this something that could be retrofitted to a '78? If someone has already invented this wheel, I would rather avoid duplicating the effort.

When I open the fresh air vents on my '78 at highway speed, there is a marked increase in wind noise around the doors. Apparently, this is due to increased pressure inside the cabin flowing out. Opening a vent widow reduces the door noise, but creates its own noise from the turbulence.

I seem to recall hearing that later Avanti models had a vent to create a "flow-through" that provided an exhaust for the cabin air. Is this correct? If so, where was the vent located, and how did it operate? Is this something that could be retrofitted to a '78? If someone has already invented this wheel, I would rather avoid duplicating the effort.

Not sure about the ones built on the GM chassis.

The earlier ones had a flapper opening in the trunk so that air would flow in the front vents, around the package shelf, and out the trunk.

cbk

Not sure about the ones built on the GM chassis.

The earlier ones had a flapper opening in the trunk so that air would flow in the front vents, around the package shelf, and out the trunk.

cbk

Do you have any idea of where in the trunk this flapper might have been located? I know that the '66 Studebaker sedans used this type of system, venting through the tail light housing.

Just went out and looked at mine. 1984 RQB3921.It's located just to the right of center at the front of the trunk. There is a grill about 8" x 3". It looks like it is blocked but if you push on the obstruction you will find it's actualy a flapper .

In order to work properly there needs to be a gap between the package shelf and the body to provide a path for the air to flow.

Charlie