1987 Avanti Convertible top replacement

billmdonn

I need a new top for my 1987 Avanti Convertible. I looked around on the internet and found this website.

http://allencarswell.com/estore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=388

Now I was always under the impression that the 1987 convertible had a different top than both the 1988 and 1989 so

I am concern that I might end up with the wrong top. Has anyone every purchase a 1987 top from this vendor or other vendor

• 1 month later...

Now I was always under the impression that the 1987 convertible had a different top than both the 1988 and 1989 so I am concern that I might end up with the wrong top. Has anyone every purchase a 1987 top from this vendor or other vendor

I don't own an '87 convert, but that was my impression as well. Why not email the guy to see if the '87 top he carries is different from the '88 & '89. Chances are the top mechanism may actually be from some other car manufactured in the early 70's, like a Chevy Camaro or Chrysler. Too bad there aren't folks on these forums who used to work at Avanti Motors and could answer questions like this one.

My guess is that a good upholstery shop might be able to make one from the pattern afforded by your old one after it's removed.

Edited by WayneC

I don't own an '87 convert, but that was my impression as well. Why not email the guy to see if the '87 top he carries is different from the '88 & '89. Chances are the top mechanism may actually be from some other car manufactured in the early 70's, like a Chevy Camaro or Chrysler. Too bad there aren't folks on these forums who used to work at Avanti Motors and could answer questions like this one.

My guess is that a good upholstery shop might be able to make one from the pattern afforded by your old one after it's removed.

I found this bit of information on Bob Johnstons Avanti Page

1-800-272-2394 from Convertible Tops, at the cost of about $450.00 for the custom made top. The

cost then to install the top has been estimated at $300 - $1,000.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The (87) convertible top was custom made according to my conversation with Mike Kelly. It was not

until they moved the gas tank to be slung under the frame that they were able to fit a LeBaron top

to the 88s and up as they had enough room in the top well to use a plexiglass rear window. Yours

should have a vinyl rear window, yes?

Contact Dan & Betty Booth at Nostalgic for the side rubbers. Dan has the A-pillar seals but as Avanti

Motors was custom fabricating as they went along he needs your originals to match up and cut to size.

"87-89 convertible roof rail weatherseal is carried by Steele Rubber out of Denver, NC on

their P/N 70-1035-99.

Their website is at http://www.steelerubber.com/ and the contact is Karen Campbell or you

can email her at kcampbell@steelerubber.com . Phone is 704-483-9343 or toll free 800-447-0849. Price

quoted to me was $4.50 USD plus S&H. You can order any quantity you need."

I believe the top hold-down handles are from a Renault convertible IIRC. If you need a new top, take

the old one off and have the upholstery shop cut to match with a little extra on the sides to cover

the rails and weatherseals.

Brooksie (May 2009)

-----------------------------