84 Avanti sold at auction

J Boyle

At Silver Auctions in Coeur d'Alene, idaho last week a 84 Avanti was offered. Here's the catalog description:

1984 Avanti II - RQB 4096. 26,897 Actual miles. Power everything, Original survivor car, Avanti wire wheels, Elmwood dash, Ricarro power seats, Original floor mats, Fender covers, 5.0 Liter 4BBL HO V-8, 3 Speed w/ OD 700 transmission.

They said it was in #2 condition and I agree. I spent some time looking at the car and it was very nice, the only flaw I found was a small scrath on a fender. The interior was very nice, the sunroof didn't have any visible leak issues (and it was lightly raining at the time of the sale, but I saw no evidence of past leaks on the seats, headliner or carpet). Color was cranberry red with light tan interior.

Sold for $11,100 plus commission.

A very good buy, IMHO.

• 1 month later...

I agree that is a very nice car, and a great deal. Now the buyer is trying to double his money on eBay with a BIN of $22.5K.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Superb-Avanti-26-000-miles-/120758950737?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1c1dcb5b51

That would be a nice turn around on the guy's investment if it goes for the BIN price. But I think the bidding will stall out a ways before $22 K. If it were that easy to double one's investment with Avanti's, there would be a lot more people into that business. I don't think many Avanti enthusiasts got an Avanti with the goal of doubling their investment. More often than not, an owners' original investment doubles in the car, getting it in "perfect order". Most owners, like me, get an Avanti for the love of the car, not as a profit maker.

• 1 month later...

That would be a nice turn around on the guy's investment if it goes for the BIN price. But I think the bidding will stall out a ways before $22 K. If it were that easy to double one's investment with Avanti's, there would be a lot more people into that business. I don't think many Avanti enthusiasts got an Avanti with the goal of doubling their investment. More often than not, an owners' original investment doubles in the car, getting it in "perfect order". Most owners, like me, get an Avanti for the love of the car, not as a profit maker.

Woops I must have hit the wrong key.

I am the new owner of the 84 aqb 4096. I have had it about a month now and it is indeed a great machine. For the condition and previous owners care of the car the pricing that I purchased it for was fair. It would have been better from the auction a couple of months ago but I do have a fantastic car. It must have all the options that were offered in 84.

I would like to contact the previous owner for a couple of questions as it looks like he must have bween an AOAI member. Does this site maintain a listing for previous owners?

So now the car is in the Los Angeles Area.

Stu

To the best of my knowledge there's no listing with the AOAI website, but if you can get some old AOAI member rosters it might list by its VIN and who owned it. You can also try the online Avanti Registry and see if the car has been listed Avanti Registry.

• 2 weeks later...

Amen!!