looking for project 63 or 64

ken1007

Last Fall I set out to find either a 63 or 64 , or an 87 or newer to restore and perhaps to hot rod. Ended up with an 89 that needed nothing. Would still like to find a basket case 63 or 64 as a winter project. Must be automatic and within a reasonable distance of Richmond Va. Ken, Deltaville, Va

I know where an '85 Avanti is...if it hasn't already been disposed of...in Frederick, MD. The owner, who I didn't know very well, owned a body shop and completely redid the body of the car, including grafting on a new roof to eliminate the sunroof. He passed away suddenly last year...only a few months after finishing his car. If you're interested I can send you pics I took of the car and contact information. It's not a basket case, but is already somewhat customized.

As I said, I don't know if his family has disposed of the car already or if they intend to. Let me know if you're interested.

http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/cto/2279943569.html How about one that's not a basket case? My Car. I'm in Dobson NC right outside of Mt Airy. I just sold an 88 and wouldn't mind an '89.

ErnieR

Last Fall I set out to find either a 63 or 64 , or an 87 or newer to restore and perhaps to hot rod. Ended up with an 89 that needed nothing. Would still like to find a basket case 63 or 64 as a winter project. Must be automatic and within a reasonable distance of Richmond Va. Ken, Deltaville, Va

http://winstonsalem....2279943569.html How about one that's not a basket case? My Car. I'm in Dobson NC right outside of Mt Airy. I just sold an 88 and wouldn't mind an '89.

ErnieR

Very nice car you have, in fact that's what I want to end up with; but I want to do it myself as a winter project, thanks for reply. I'm new to the Avanti world and if you hear of a basket case please let me know. Ken, Deltaville, Va

Very nice car you have, in fact that's what I want to end up with; but I want to do it myself as a winter project, thanks for reply. I'm new to the Avanti world and if you hear of a basket case please let me know. Ken, Deltaville, Va

As coined by John Poulos, "there's nothing more expensive than a cheap Avanti"

My "winter project" took more than a decade and probably over $50,000. Interior alone is $3500, uninstalled and doesn't include dash or headliner. Flanged axles $1000+, 4 wheel discs $1600 not including master, TCI trans and attaching parts $2500 etc, etc.

If you can paint the car your $10K ahead. I could go on and on.

Buy the best car you can, not a sales pitch on mine, just common advice in the Avanti world. These aren't Mustangs or Camaros and some get sacrificed because they are worth more in pieces than all together.

I'm sure others here will concur. Be careful.

ErnieR

Ken

I've been reading Ernie's writeup on his Avanti and didn't realize the extent of his improvements to his car.

I guess it might be worth your time to post what you mean by a basket case. A true basket case Avanti (63-64) will generally need hog troughs and frame replacement of repair. If you can do all the work yourself it will be less expensive than Ernie's but not by much.

My 83 was such a project but I started with a decent (10 Foot) body and interior and minor frame and hog trough issues. It started at $7500 and with all of the guile I could muster to keep costs down, I probably have $15,000 in it currently. It could use paint and interior but which I can do and may someday, but it is currently a driver with a darn stout SBC and 200R4 and 4:10 rear end.

If I add that to my cost plus hog troughs and frame issues, I'd be pretty close to Ernies.

But if you still want to continue to find a basket case Avanti try using Search Tempest to search Craigslist. You will find a $6600 or so basket case in the Maryland area and some others less expensive. When you try it it will ask if you want to use Auto Tempest which will allow you to narrow down the years. This app will search all the craigslist's in the US.

Good Luck

For the record- I reregistered as Avanti83 after a few difficulties with BobS, my old name. You can see a couple of shots of what my investment has bought if you search under that name.

Bob

Ken...

Take this with a grain of salt...just my opinion and that won't even get you a cup of coffee. If you want to hot rod an Avanti...I believe an Avanti II is a better candidate. They generally cost less to buy than an equivalent Studebaker version...Avanti II's were considered better cars when new but even the newest is old by now and the free market rules that Studebakers are worth more. While the Studebaker engine is a fine engine, the small block Chevy is far, far easier to hot rod and crate engines of any number of power levels are available to drop in if you want. If you want the panache of a different engine than a ubiquitous small block Chevy, have at it.

Avanti II's were all custom cars, more or less, than a production car, so you can change whatever you like as there was no real factory standard anyway. The value won't be materially affected like it might with a Studebaker. If you're concerned about later resale value, a customized Studebaker Avanti will turn many potential buyers away.

LIke I said...take what I said with a grain of salt...it's your wants and desires that are important.

Absolutely 100% agree.

Most of the world couldn't tell a II from a Stude if they were standing next to both of them and the starting platform is much easier to modify for performance. Lower initial cost, A/C etc. In retrospect it's where I should have started. When I bought mine in '95 I was new to Avanti also but I didn't have a computer to seek out opinions.

ErnieR

Ken...

Take this with a grain of salt...just my opinion and that won't even get you a cup of coffee. If you want to hot rod an Avanti...I believe an Avanti II is a better candidate. They generally cost less to buy than an equivalent Studebaker version...Avanti II's were considered better cars when new but even the newest is old by now and the free market rules that Studebakers are worth more. While the Studebaker engine is a fine engine, the small block Chevy is far, far easier to hot rod and crate engines of any number of power levels are available to drop in if you want. If you want the panache of a different engine than a ubiquitous small block Chevy, have at it.

Avanti II's were all custom cars, more or less, than a production car, so you can change whatever you like as there was no real factory standard anyway. The value won't be materially affected like it might with a Studebaker. If you're concerned about later resale value, a customized Studebaker Avanti will turn many potential buyers away.

LIke I said...take what I said with a grain of salt...it's your wants and desires that are important.

Ken

I've been reading Ernie's writeup on his Avanti and didn't realize the extent of his improvements to his car.

I guess it might be worth your time to post what you mean by a basket case. A true basket case Avanti (63-64) will generally need hog troughs and frame replacement of repair. If you can do all the work yourself it will be less expensive than Ernie's but not by much.

My 83 was such a project but I started with a decent (10 Foot) body and interior and minor frame and hog trough issues. It started at $7500 and with all of the guile I could muster to keep costs down, I probably have $15,000 in it currently. It could use paint and interior but which I can do and may someday, but it is currently a driver with a darn stout SBC and 200R4 and 4:10 rear end.

If I add that to my cost plus hog troughs and frame issues, I'd be pretty close to Ernies.

But if you still want to continue to find a basket case Avanti try using Search Tempest to search Craigslist. You will find a $6600 or so basket case in the Maryland area and some others less expensive. When you try it it will ask if you want to use Auto Tempest which will allow you to narrow down the years. This app will search all the craigslist's in the US.

Good Luck

For the record- I reregistered as Avanti83 after a few difficulties with BobS, my old name. You can see a couple of shots of what my investment has bought if you search under that name.

Bob

This is in reply to both Bob aqnd Ernie - I recognize what you are saying and appreciate and welcome all comments. In fact, several months ago, when I decided to restore an Avanti, posts like yours were very helpful. Since retirement in 1995, have restored 3 ea 63 GT's, 1 54 Commander hardtop, 2 ea 56 Golden Hawks and 1 57 Gh, and one 71 off brand car (Nova) and am aware of cost. The 56's were the most expensive because of the uniqe parts. So far I have broken even on the sale of three of cars, I sold them, reluctantly, because of space limitations, otherwse I would still have them. I do most of the work myself, except for machine work (engine, tranny, rear end, etc, ) and have help from folks who are more interested in getting Studebakers back on the road than in making money, one of them used to race Studebakers. I said earlier in a post that I am new to Avanti but I am new not to Studebaker restoration. I have always had a fondness of Studebakers as I learned to drive on a 51 land cruuiser and they serve as a winter project to keep me from having to watch "Dr. Phil" and "Ophra" (sp) and other equally useless activities. So thanks again for your input and, in fact, I could probably would respond the same way about cost, but I view it a little differently because I do most of the work and am thereby able to contain cost to something close to what the car might bring. Ken, Deltavile, Va

Ken...

Thanks, already have 500HP 89 Avanti "hot rod" and have no plans to sell in my lifetime. Ken Deltaville Va

Ken

Good Luck

Bob

Bob, found a couple of freezers and Ebay list of Avanti, nothing on Craig List at $6600 in Maryland, can you be more specific as to that Craig listing, thanks, Ken, Deltaville Va

Bob, found a couple of freezers and Ebay list of Avanti, nothing on Craig List at $6600 in Maryland, can you be more specific as to that Craig listing, thanks, Ken, Deltaville Va

Ken

I have trouble posting CL listings when I use search tempest but here is a sample of what I found in 5 minutes.

The one I thought was in Maryland is in Newark, Del 1966 @ $6350

More,

1963 in Saline, Mi $4500, 1978 in Wauconda, Il $4900, 1970 in Columbus, Oh $5500 Just the cheap ones.

Go to www.searchtempest.com and take it for a ride. Just type in cars & trucks, look for Avanti and enjoy.

Bob

Ken

I have trouble posting CL listings when I use search tempest but here is a sample of what I found in 5 minutes.

The one I thought was in Maryland is in Newark, Del 1966 @ $6350

More,

1963 in Saline, Mi $4500, 1978 in Wauconda, Il $4900, 1970 in Columbus, Oh $5500 Just the cheap ones.

Go to www.searchtempest.com and take it for a ride. Just type in cars & trucks, look for Avanti and enjoy.

Bob

Bob, thanks found several across U.S. Ken, Deltaville, Va

There is a 64R1 a few towns over from me that I looked at last year. The car has sat outside for a bunch of years. I offered $2500 as is and the deal was going well until he felt the car was worth much more. He said it ran, sure sure. I will email him again and find out what the status is. I did take a dozen digital pics of the car; inside,outside and engine bay. I will keep you posted.

Mark

There is a 64R1 a few towns over from me that I looked at last year. The car has sat outside for a bunch of years. I offered $2500 as is and the deal was going well until he felt the car was worth much more. He said it ran, sure sure. I will email him again and find out what the status is. I did take a dozen digital pics of the car; inside,outside and engine bay. I will keep you posted.

Mark

Mark, thanks, where is it located, you are both North and South of me, near Richmond Va? That sounds like something I may be interested in as poor condition is not a major issue. Was it in Lackland? Ken

Edited by ken1007

1963 Avanti. R1, auto. Good frame; steamed and painted. Much work done. Needs paint,carpet, some chrome. $7,500. Max Corkins. Ph. 717-513-8251

Thaks, called and emailed him but have not heard back, Ke

Ken, just a note. Saw on the Studebaker Drivers Club site and forum that Max is in the hospital as of yesterday. Here is the note. He is doing better now based on the comments. I guess it will be a bit before he can get back to you.

Max Corkins in Lewistown Hospital

Admitted last week with blood sugar of 1762; pretty disoriented. He's stable now with numbers well below 400 and has lost 20 pounds. A few more hours and he wouldn't have made it. His sister saved his life.

Room 5130

Lewistown Hospital

400 Highland Avenue

Lewistown, Pa. 17044
Edited by unimogjohn

Mark, thanks, where is it located, you are both North and South of me, near Richmond Va? That sounds like something I may be interested in as poor condition is not a major issue. Was it in Lackland? Ken

Ken, I have emailed and called the owner twice, no return calls yet. The car is in the Toms River area of New Jersey, that is around exit 88 if I remember correctly. I will try him again this weekend

Mark

Ken, just a note. Saw on the Studebaker Drivers Club site and forum that Max is in the hospital as of yesterday. Here is the note. He is doing better now based on the comments. I guess it will be a bit before he can get back to you.

Max Corkins in Lewistown Hospital

Admitted last week with blood sugar of 1762; pretty disoriented. He's stable now with numbers well below 400 and has lost 20 pounds. A few more hours and he wouldn't have made it. His sister saved his life.

Room 5130

Lewistown Hospital

400 Highland Avenue

Lewistown, Pa. 17044

Thanks, I can wait, I would not start on a car until next winter, Ken

Thaks, called and emailed him but have not heard back, Ke

Ken, I did receive an email from Greg who ownes the car I spoke of. He is supposed to call me within a few days, I will let you know as soon as I do and I might still have the DVD of photos taken when I saw the car last year in the early fall

Mark

Ken, I found the DVD with all the photos taken, the car is a 63R1 not a 64R1, sorry for the mistake. I emailed you mabe 4 or 5 times with 15-17 pictures in total. As said, the son of the owner is slow to respond and promised to call me in the next few days, he is so busy says he. blah blah blah. Well, enjoy the pics and hopefully if indeed this all goes through, you will restor and not make a "hot rod" As one of the guys said, if you want a hot rod, get an Avanti II as they are plentiful and less expensive.

Mark