Looking for 2005-2007 Avanti

edprize

I can think of seeing only one for sale a while back. There were an estimated 38 built on the Ford chassis so they are few and far between. There were only 53 on the Firebird chassis so they're not much less rare.

I can think of seeing only one for sale a while back. There were an estimated 38 built on the Ford chassis so they are few and far between. There were only 53 on the Firebird chassis so they're not much less rare.

Jerry Payton has a 2007 yellow convertible he has talked about selling. His home phone is, 417-887-7801

Charlie RQB3921

Jerry Payton has a 2007 yellow convertible he has talked about selling. His home phone is, 417-887-7801

Charlie RQB3921

Thanks for Charlie number. I will give him a call.

WOW! I thought the number manufactured was much higher. Mexico production had better numbers. Thanks for the input.

Keep in mind that missing tail light lens is made of unobtanium. There are no sources for a replacement beyond having some fabricated, which won't be cheap due to such small demand. It can be done as one of our members had some made for the 2001-2004 Avanti's on the Firebird chassis...he had to pay for ten sets before a fabricator would do it.

Just something to be aware of and take into account.

I drove down to Clinton, SC to see the 2007 Aavnti.

Looked good ,but had some problems. The hood looks like it 1/2 inch out of alignment in the front right side maybe even warped. The hold down latch that receives the hood is broken off.

They drilled holes in the rear hood to put chrome hold downs posts in. Poor job too.

I made an offer in person. If I get the car I will need to know who had lens covers make and share the cost with them. They look to be the same.

If you decide to proceed with this Avanti, have it professionally inspected, preferably by a body shop. A 1/2" panel gap is beyond poor build quality. The car may have been in a major accident. Or, a minor accident with a major botch job on the repair. :) Either way, you will find out whether to walk from the car or what it will cost to make it right again.

Thanks for the advice. Auto check gave it a clean bill of health. If I win the bid. I will get a body shop to look it over. Its about to go over my limit. Do you (anyone) have idea of value? Now at $34,000.checks_out.jpg

AccidentCheck

Reported accidents: 0

There's really no saying what is a fair market price...this car may set a fair market price as the number of late Avanti's on the market is so miniscule. Whatever you feel is a fair price is up to you. Regardless of what the seller wants, I would subtract the estimated costs of the repairs to the hood, hood release and tail light lens from that. You may even have trouble registering the car in your state with a missing tail light lens and who knows how long to find or fabricate another? You may actually end up taking the good lens off to pass state inspection if it looks like the car never had them or doesn't need them...just throwing that out.

FYI...I don't believe the reproduced tail light lenses the AOAI member had done will fit that car. His is a 2003 and those cars on the Firebird platform appear to have tail light lenses of a similar shape, but different dimensions. I'm not sure, but looking at the photos they appear to be non-interchangable. He paid somewhere like $2800-$3000 to have ten pairs made when he really only needed one pair. I bought one pair from him for spares for my 2002 should I ever need them.

I'm not saying don't buy that car...just be prepared for the difficulty of parts and trim repairs on such a limited production automobile and the costs that go with them. Factor that in. The last thing any of us want you to do is buy what is otherwise a great car and get soured on it for such things.

The auction ended and the reserve was not met.

I went up to $34,900 and it stopped at US $35,200.00.

The dealer wanted $38,500 or more. Now we know the perceived value of a 2007 with low miles.

Thanks for all the helpedand your comments.

Now you can contact the seller and make an offer based on what the free market said the car is actually worth. It's up to him to take it or not. As the saying goes, "Money talks and we know what walks!"

Now you can contact the seller and make an offer based on what the free market said the car is actually worth. It's up to him to take it or not. As the saying goes, "Money talks and we know what walks!"

They asked me to give it my best shot. I did.

He going to get back tomorrow.

I'll tell you how it come out..

When push comes shove they would like to have $40,000 for the 2007 Avanti conv.

That more than I think its worth. The seller called all the binders. I'm the only one that would honor his bid for $35,000.

The owner is going to try the local papers. I'll call back in a few weeks.

I'm not saying he won't find someone interested in his local newspapers, but a car with as limited a following as the Avanti is more likely to disappoint the seller in such an advertising venue than a national and even international forum such as Ebay. I think you'll find the car still available in a couple of weeks.

You had mentioned the hood was misaligned. Since the seller said the hood mechanism broke and lockdown pins were installed, I'm thinking the holes were drilled wrong and the misalignment results from that. If the factory opening mechanism is properly repaired, the hood can be aligned properly, but the holes have to be filled and prepped and the hood repainted. If all that is correct, I don't see how the seller can expect his price without the cost of repair subtracted from it. If he's adamant on his price, he better be prepared to own the car for a long time.

If the seller had a poor repair done on the car, it's not your job to bail him out by paying him for the mistake. That's my take anyway.

I don't think there is any value guide for these cars. There are so few of them out there, much less any number that have changed hands, that there's no guide to go by. Basically, the value is whatever the traffic will bear. It seems that the vast majority of car people, even those who know of the Avanti, are not even aware of the 2001-2007 models.

In Avanti Magazine, there's been a 2002 for sale for several years...the ad is in every issue. I don't know what the asking price is, but it hasn't sold. That tells me there is either not much of a market for the car, the seller is asking too much, or both.

The red Avanti that was on Ebay you looked at, if the seller can't get $40k, then the price is too high for today's market. With the hood issues you described and the missing tail light lens, those are big negatives, even if the rest of the car is perfect. The repairs to what otherwise would be pretty minor, may be quite expensive in a car where less than forty are known to have been made and no source of parts is known to exist. Those problems may even keep the car from passing a state inspection for registration. They would in my state.

It's your money...there's a chance to own what is a great car, though in need of a bit of attention. Figure out what the car is worth to you and go from there.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice. I'm still looking for a Mustang (V8) based Avanti. If you come up with more please let me know.

I'll be looking for one in Gettysburg this year.

I own one of the 19 that were built in cacun -- pictures in the plant & pictures by itself in the showroom--- 100 point car at national in Ill. in 2009 -- fun car but I also have the last car painted in South Bend in 1988 & shipped to Michael Landon with Michael Kelly the 2nd owner -- I need to sell one of these-- Richard James

419-688-9276

studebaker20349@yahoo.com --- I will have it at South Bend May 5-6-7-8 & Gettysburg for national