1978 Steering Box

Jim78

Somewhere about that time period Avanti Motors ran out of the original steering box and supposedly adapted one from a fork lift application. At exactly what point they did so and what application I don't know. I would suggest asking Dan Booth at Nostalgic Motors. He's probably the most knowledgable person out there on late model Avanti II's.

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard that 74 was the last year for the Studebaker steering box which had a tighter ratio than the 75 and up. The quick steering arms available from our vendors are supposed to make the 75 and up steer like the 74 and back models. I recently went through the whole steering column thing and yours should have an AMC column which is actually a GM column with an AMC part #. It can be confusing because Avanti installed Chrysler ignition locks in these columns. Probably because the Studebaker door locks I was told by a locksmith are or are really close to MOPAR blanks. This way the door lock and ignition keys could be the same. Both Chrysler (MOPAR) and GM ignition locks will fit these GM columns.

I have heard that 74 was the last year for the Studebaker steering box which had a tighter ratio than the 75 and up. The quick steering arms available from our vendors are supposed to make the 75 and up steer like the 74 and back models. I recently went through the whole steering column thing and yours should have an AMC column which is actually a GM column with an AMC part #. It can be confusing because Avanti installed Chrysler ignition locks in these columns. Probably because the Studebaker door locks I was told by a locksmith are or are really close to MOPAR blanks. This way the door lock and ignition keys could be the same. Both Chrysler (MOPAR) and GM ignition locks will fit these GM columns.

My ignition key is a Mopar. The door key is nothing like it. The '78 is after the door locks were moved from the handle to the door below, so there is a distinctly different oval shaped key for the doors.

If I wanted to replace the "forklift" box with an earlier box from a P/S equipped Studebaker, would this be a bolt on swap? Is there a particular year range of boxes that would work on the Avanti? Are there any clearance issues with the exhaust from the 350?

Edited by Jim78

I have experienced the driver's side exhaust pipe at the manifold so not to come in contact with the pitman arm needing to be bent into a somewhat ugly curve and flattened some. It takes a good exhaust guy with patience to do this as clean as possible.

I have experienced the driver's side exhaust pipe at the manifold so not to come in contact with the pitman arm needing to be bent into a somewhat ugly curve and flattened some. It takes a good exhaust guy with patience to do this as clean as possible.

When I installed the Jasper 350 in mine I had the same problems since I didn't want to use the small manifolds from my 305. I cured it by going to the "Rams Horn" manifolds from a Corvette. This also allowed me to use 2 1/2 inch exhaust pioes

Charlie RQB3921