AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION CONVERSION

studequest

Has anyone converted the R1 Automatic Transmission to a 700 R4

What parts are needed, who are best suppliers for those parts and if you farmed it out, what could one expect for labor?

I know a trans from summit is about 1700- $2000

Thanks Keith

Edited by studequest
error in original post

You'll need a transmission adapter plate...they're custom made and sold by a few of the vendors who specialize in Studebaker's and Avantis.  Mike Myer at Myer's Studebaker sells an exceptional adapter...there's at least one other excellent one from  Fairborne Studebaker.  You'll also need a different starter and I'm pretty sure have your transmission shaft modified.  You might consider a new driveshaft made of aluminum...less unsprung weight and less rotating mass and will help with performance.

If you call and talk to Mike Myer he can fill you in on everything related to doing the swap and answer any questions.

I've done it and it's a wonderful improvement and the reduction in engine RPM/noise makes the car much more pleasant for highway driving.  There will be a small improvement in MPG.

Suggest investigating a GM 200-4R as an alternative.  The gear ratios are much better for the Stude V8, the cost of a rebuilt unit is similar and the details of the swap are identical.

Having said this, it requires someone who can follow directions and will spend the money to do it correctly.  Companies such as BowTieOverdrives have the carburetor linkage, the gauge kit and instructions necessary for a successful swap.

Depending upon from whom you buy your transmission, the governor which comes with it may not be correct for your rear gear ratio.  GM made dozens of different governors for 4-cyl, 6-cyl and V8s; these control part of the RPM point at which the transmission upshifts.  Most auto trans rebuild shops will have a bucket full of governors.  Choosing the one you want is not an exact science; more of a try-it-and-see.  Fortunately, they're external and easily swapped.

Also, the Stude floor shift doesn't mate up well, but the U-Pik yards are full of GM 4-speed auto floor shifters for cheap.

jack vines

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed the suggestion of converting to an aluminum driveshaft. After my experience with an aluminum driveshaft on a GMC truck with a 350 ci V-8, I would never do that. The driveshaft corroded, and one day pulling away from a stop sign, it totally broke in two with the driveshaft flopping around underneath the truck. I hate to think what would’ve happened if I’d been driving down the interstate at 65 miles an hour and had that happen. Of course, I have to confess I did use the truck to pull out some for firmly rooted bushes and small saplings. Nevertheless, I would not trust an aluminum driveshaft.

Don't forget that the GM overdrive transmissions listed above (non-electronic shift) need a TV cable connected to the carb linkage. That controls shift points and needs to be adjusted correctly to keep a healthy transmission.

You can also use the newer e-series but you'll need a controller to handle the shifting, about $500 or so but there are a ton of those available in the parts yards.