Paxton Supercharger

MARK

My 64R2 #5470 is finally back on the road; again. Today I heard noises that sounded like another repair waiting to happen. I think a bearing is going on my Paxton Supercharger as the noise is intermittent, more so than not. Is there a kit to repair this or is John Myer the only reputable repair tech. out there? I am in NJ and would like someone local if indeed there are other qualified service techs out there.

Check out Avanti Magazine's vendor pages as well vendors who advertise in the SDC. There are several rebuilders who do Paxton's. Besides Jon Myers there's also Jon Erb and maybe a few others. I would definitely send the blower to someone well versed in them. I know Jon Myers does outstanding work from experience (not on a blower) and so does John Erb by reputation.

And change your fluid now!!!!!!!!!! You can use a little hand pump to remove the fluid, or take it out and dump out the fluid. Use ATF type F. Then run the engine for 10 to 15 minutes or so and drain again. Do this three or four times. It may save your supercharger if it is not too far gone. A rebuild these days are about $700 to 800 on average.

And change your fluid now!!!!!!!!!! You can use a little hand pump to remove the fluid, or take it out and dump out the fluid. Use ATF type F. Then run the engine for 10 to 15 minutes or so and drain again. Do this three or four times. It may save your supercharger if it is not too far gone. A rebuild these days are about $700 to 800 on average.

When the car was restored about 2 years ago that was one of the first fluid changes done. Since the engine was rebuilt months ago and only 300 miles are on it, the fluid was changed before the rebuild and again shortly therafter. Yes, I did use ATF type F. I bought a couple of cases from my local NAPA store as the transmission was undergoing a total rebuild too. Thanks for the advise.

Check out Avanti Magazine's vendor pages as well vendors who advertise in the SDC. There are several rebuilders who do Paxton's. Besides Jon Myers there's also Jon Erb and maybe a few others. I would definitely send the blower to someone well versed in them. I know Jon Myers does outstanding work from experience (not on a blower) and so does John Erb by reputation.

I sent an email to Jon Myers and received a quick and important reply. I will most likely box it up and ship it out before weeks end. Hopefully the rebuild time will be short and I will be able to enjoy the cool dry air that is so enjoyed by older engines.

thanks for the answer

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little note. I had a friend that had a bad supercharger bearing, or so he thought. It turned out to be the Idle pully bearing instead. Also check this.

Roland

Thanks Roland, I had the engine rebuilt,balanced and blueprinted. All pullys and everything surrounding the engine is new. I will wait for Jon Myer. In the meantime I hooked up a larger diameter silver flex hose( used for the dryer in the home) and clamped both ends around the bonnet and the lip around the air fileter. Car runs great

Mark