Front Emblem

TED DIMON

16 hours ago, Paul K. said:

San Mateo Red is a Cadillac color as were many Avanti II colors. 

Good information!  Many thanks for letting me know about the Cadillac color equivalency.  I have been wondering what to do about matching it for touch-ups.  Now I know!!!

Happy to help. I have restored and owned  MANY 60s and 70s Cadillacs during the last 30 years.  

Newman and Altman offered more than a few Cadillac colors especially the optional "Firemist" colors that were slightly irridescent with a slightly larger metal flake than the standard "Poly" colors. I remembered San Mateo Red was offered in 1970 for Cadillac. From the photo of your car and the the color chip below, I would say that SM Red could be your color, or at the least a good place to start for a color match. 

Picture 1 of 1

Edited by Paul K.

13 minutes ago, Paul K. said:

Happy to help. I have restored and owned  MANY 60s and 70s Cadillacs during the last 30 years.  

Newman and Altman offered more than a few Cadillac colors especially the optional "Firemist" colors that were slightly irridescent with a slightly larger metal flake than the standard "Poly" colors. I remembered San Mateo Red was offered in 1970 for Cadillac. From the photo of your car and the the color chip below, I would say that SM Red could be your color, or at the least a good place to start for a color match. 

Picture 1 of 1

Many thanks!  This is great information, that hopefully will help other owners as well.  As the color chip shows above, San Mateo Red is really more of a maroon than a red.  It highlights the car's lines beautifully and hides a multitude of "sins" which is what you want in a "driver".

Avanti Motors advertised they would paint a new car in any automotive color available.  That Cadillac may have been popular might be a preference by Nate Altman or buyers.  GM often offered the exact same colors from every division but each had a different name depending whether it was Chevrolet, Pontiac, Oldsmobile or Buick...maybe the Cadillac colors were exclusive to the division within the GM structure.  

The '70 Avanti I owned was a Cadillac color from the factory as well...Dark Walnut I believe but it was silver when I purchased the car.

I bought my '71 Avanti from the original owner in the late '70s.  I wasn't crazy about the shade of brown the car was painted, but it was in beautiful condition with low miles. I nicknamed the color "baby s**t brown".

Some years later the RF fender was slightly damaged while parked (hit & run), and when I took it to the repair shop they identified the color as being from a dirt-cheap Japanese economy car (can't remember which brand now, but the repair color matched exactly); I've no idea why the original buyer chose that color, but I guess it proves that Avanti Motors would paint them any color the customer wanted.

I had it repainted later in a lighter (and less greenish) early-90s Mercedes color: "Desert Taupe".

BTW, if perusing colors in online catalogs, be aware the colors look entirely different in person (I bought some manufacturers color sample books before I chose);

here are 1) catalog color as viewed online  2) photo of a Mercedes in that color  3) closeup of my Avanti in that color

1521133053_1990MercedesDesertTaupe.jpeg.39f9733a23cd4f6759fbfe8282fc2e8c.jpeg

Desert Taupe.jpeg

Mercedes Desert Taupe.jpeg

1521133053_1990MercedesDesertTaupe.jpeg.39f9733a23cd4f6759fbfe8282fc2e8c.jpeg

Edited by WayneC
substituted larger photos

24 minutes ago, A83 said:

Do you mind telling me the cost of the paint job I may be needing one soon.  I am getting estimates of $15000.I

Thank you.

That's probably in the ballpark for a complete strip and paint. The problem with painting an Avanti, or any old car - for that matter, is it's labor intensive and there are not many shops left that want to do one. There are just a lot of hours involved, I know because I did my 74 from strip to body work to paint to buffing. The cost of materials alone will probably run 20% of that if you just use quality materials and ordinary enamel or bc/cc colors with no high end pearls etc.

Around here, one can usually find someone that will do it in their garage for about 1/3 to 1/2 of that but you need to know them quite well. You might talk to local folks that have had it done on their vintage rides. Asking at car shows is generally a good way but that's not available currently.

If you can find a local Corvette club, you might get hold of the officers and ask who they might recommend on price vs quality.