Avanti "II" logo upside down

Dan S

The roman number two after Avanti was used from 1965-1983, so why do so many cars have them upside down?  The overline is longer than the underline by design, yet many turn it upside down with the longer line on the bottom.  I did a google search of the Alman Avanti and found just under 50% were wrong.  Is this done by choice or mistake by the installer?  Having had my car (1978) just re-painted, I made sure the II's were installed correctly.  Thoughts?

avanti_II_emblem__37870.1548282790.1280.1280.jpg

Edited by Dan S

I agree with you about the orientation of the emblem.  I do not know about your "by design" part.  The emblem is simply a Studebaker Lark roman numeral eight with six subtracted and then mounted upside down relative to its original placement.  

• 2 weeks later...

If you look at early Avanti II sales literature the "II" has the long line at the top...so that is the best indication how it was intended by Nate Altman.  Later company sales brochures reinforces that.

I've got one of each on my '71. The front has the long overline on top, while the rear has the long underscore on the bottom. To be perfectly honest, I much prefer the long line on the bottom as it looks better next to the Avanti script emblem. A case can be made for having the long underscore on the bottom as that's how Stude used the Roman Numerals on the Lark. Now just for kicks, why did Loewy allow the Studebaker logotype on the rear deck of the Avanti? It looks so out of place and dated compared to his modern Avanti logo and multiple Lazy S badges.

image.png.9eeb9079ed8d412c5eed2e10232e7f1c.png

Edited by Desert Driver