Bumper compatibility

Quicksilver

Hi all. This is my first post to this forum. Thank you for allowing me to join.

I have been a car enthusiast since I was 12. I am now 69. My all time dream car from the day it was introduced, has been the Avanti.

Over the years I have had Mustangs, Supras, Hondas, and now a Jag F-type. They have all been my daily driver (I'm a contractor and I do around 30,000 miles per years), which is why I never bought an Avanti.
It is almost impossible to get insurance here in Toronto Canada for a daily driven classic. However, I am retiring next year and plan to build a restomod (believe it or not my wife has said ok to it).

One question I have, which may influence which model years to look at: can the chrome bumpers be adapted to an 84 and up, or would I have to stay with the plastic covered ones? For that matter, can the original style dash be adapted to the later model years as well?

One more question: has anyone successfully changed or customized the front end, with different headlights/grille, etc? If so could you post pictures?

Welcome! 

A not good quick answer is that the bumpers can be changed, but it is not just a matter of bolting them on.  A have seen a few Avantis with custom front ends and IMO, none looked as good as the original.

I would suggest getting an Avanti that you like the looks of and doesn't have frame or torque box rust, and then upgrade mechanical components, such as brakes and EFI.

Thank you. I had a feeling they wouldn't be easy to swap. Personally I like the pre-84 bumpers and dash.

As far as rust goes: This will be a full on restomod with an Art Morrison Chassis and a crate GM engine and transmission, as well as a custom interior. So, the only thing I need to worry about is the body shell and the dashboard.. The budget is already approved by my wife and will be my hobby/occupation once I retire.

Yes, I do realize there is a lot more to the project than simply swapping out the chassis, and whatever my budget is (or have told my wife) it will be substantially more.

Here's the 83 Fantomworks did. http://fantomworks.com/project/1983-studebaker-avanti-2/ You can see the Avanti with the bumpers gone.

IIWM, I'd take Gary's suggestion and start with an 83 or older. The front panels are complete around the grill and lower front fenders whereas the 84 and up are missing a lot of fiberglass where the bumpers are located.

I like where you are going so keep posting. I'm 77 retired and have been moding cars for years. The biggest problem you will face is getting discouraged. I have seen many projects started and then left festering as the work piles up. Be sure you are self-starting enough because there will be times there's very little light in the tunnel.

I don't know your abilities so be sure you are calculating the real costs particularly paint and new interior. I can weld, fabricate and paint (amateur at best) but it keeps my costs inline.

With all that said, Avanti and ask away. We're here to help and admire. 

Thanks for the explanation and good luck with your progress/project.  In your case, I suggest just buying an early Avanti body.  I recently saw a complete body without chassis or drivetrain for sale.  I do not remember where, because I was not interested. 

I'm located in
Toronto, Canada.

I'm 69 years old. I have some mechanical skills and plan on doing the disassembly and prep work. I have no welding knowledge, (although I've watched a lot of it on T.V.)

I've driven hot cars all my life. the only concession I've made to my age (69) (and the increasing gridlock locally) is that I gave up my gearshift car last year.(I did make sure all 3 of my sons can drive a stick, and my granddaughter will be taught as well.)

I will be retiring in a year and then the Avanti project becomes real. I have it completely built in my mind right down to interior colour
(tobacco and tan), exterior is still in the air. (either emerald green or candy apple red metallic).

Im also undecided about round or square headlights. I'm happy to listen to opinions.

Art Morrison chassis, Willwood Discs, Ford 9 inch, Recaro buckets, Chevy crate engine with at least 500 horses.

And yes, I know im into upwards of $100 grand. I will likley have much of it built professionally.

Please forgive me for dreaming in public. I have wanted an Avanti since I was 13 years old and as retirement comes closer I can just taste it.

The picture below is my son's 89 Mustang V-8/5 speed. It was born a 4 cylinder auto.  He and I built it together about 10 years ago. We still have it.

The otherv picture is me with one of my work trucks from a few years ago

Picture 333.jpg

IMAG0233.JPG