Wiper Arm Removal

Lou Van Anne

13 minutes ago, Lou Van Anne said:

How are the wiper arms removed?

Place a flat screwdriver beneath the 'heel' of the wiper arm and pry up.....Hold the forward section of the wiper arm while you're prying so it doesn't suddenly fly off!:o

If you have a nice paint job, it wouldn't hurt to place a layer or two of masking tape around the wiper arm pivot to prevent scratches.:)

See my reply on the SDC forum. Beware of moving the arms to take care of a parking problem. You may end up with the wipers traveling across the cowl.

I've owned older Corvettes and Avanti's and I believe the wiper arms are the same type of design. The wiper arm slides onto a splined post/shaft and has a spring "tang" that keeps the arm firmly attached to the post.

My recollection (haven't done it in some time) is that the easiest way to remove & reposition the wiper arm is to use an inexpensive special tool shown below; ensure the arms are parked, fit the tool in place, note the arm position, carefully squeeze the tool handle and the wiper arm together with one hand to release the spring "tang" lock, keep the hand pressure on the tool and the arm and carefully jiggle/pull/guide the arm straight up & off the pivot shaft with fingers of your free hand, then rotate the arm to the park position you desire, and slide/re-seat the arm back down onto the splined pivot shaft.

...the technique is shown in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKvbtxGiI_w

You can also use a flat blade screwdriver, but you will find it difficult to keep the screwdriver properly positioned beneath the edge of the slip-on wiper arm while simultaneously pulling the wiper arm straight up off the pivot (and there's danger that you may unintentionally mar the paint or damage the arm if things slip... protecting that area of the body with something like fender protectors is good insurance no matter what technique you use, and a patch of electrical tape atop the wiper arm at the post to protect it from scratches).

The tool is available from AutoZone and probably most other local auto parts stores (worth the price, and works well if used carefully, despite the single bad review at Autozone), or buy it from Amazon for a buck or two less (search on "Corvette wiper arm removal tool"), or ask your gearhead friends if they have one you can borrow.

1654058291_Dormanwiperremovaltool.thumb.jpeg.c55abb70d88920264989ecaf391934cc.jpeg

Edited by WayneC
clarification

From looking at the photo you posted, it looks to me like the driver's side wiper is parked in its proper position....however, the passenger side wiper should indeed be moved down a notch or two on its pivot.

This is assuming there isn't excessive 'play' or 'wear' in the wiper linkage.:)