Replacement Tail light assembly for '63

Red63R3

I doubt if you'll find a NOS set of tail light housings, but you should be able to find reproduction housings from Nostalgic Motors or maybe Studebaker International. I bought mine from Nostalgic several years ago and they look great.

It's always possible someone has a set of NOS, so call the vendors and ask. You never know.

I doubt if you'll find a NOS set of tail light housings, but you should be able to find reproduction housings from Nostalgic Motors or maybe Studebaker International. I bought mine from Nostalgic several years ago and they look great.

It's always possible someone has a set of NOS, so call the vendors and ask. You never know.

Gunslinger

I'm hoping for NOS but will probably have to settle for reproduction. Have contacted Stude Int'l and they are looking - didn't think of Nostalgic so will try them now.

Many Thanks

Steve

Some people have said the fit of the Nostalgic reproductions left something to be desired but mine are just fine. I'm thinking the fit problems some people have reported may have more to do with variations of the fiberglass body than the housings themselves. Earlier Avanti's had lots of body panel fit issues as the body vendor Molded Fiberglass had experience in making fiberglass body panels (for Corvettes) but no experience in assembling them and delivering complete assembled bodies to Studebaker. Avanti Motors at some point simply received the body panels from MFG and assembled the bodies themselves for quality control. That could well make the difference in fit of light assemblies.

• 1 month later...

Post Script - got a bright shiny new set of rear light assemblies from Nostalgic Motors - fit and finish are quite good - and they feel like they are good deal more solid than the lost originals. At least on #2552 the fit was spot on.....

Post Script - got a bright shiny new set of rear light assemblies from Nostalgic Motors - fit and finish are quite good - and they feel like they are good deal more solid than the lost originals. At least on #2552 the fit was spot on.....

How much did they cost ?

pb

the assemblies were $135/each.....

Red,

I saw in your post that your Avanti is originally an R1 but now a Jon Myer R3 update. My 63 Avanti R2386 is currently at Myer Studebaker and is receiving a full and total restoration/modification from Mike Myer. It was originally a white with orange interior R1, auto, AC car but has received a competion engine rebuild to what Mike calls a R2-1/2. Block was bored 0.060" over (299 cu in), heads were hand ported and received R3 SS valves, R3 cam, R3 aluminum intake and R3 exhaust headers. The engine will keep R2 style carb bonnet (I don't like the box) and be fitted with edelbrock AFB and Mopar Electronic Ignition. The trans is being converted to Tremec 5 speed and the car will keep its factory AC with exception of a new Sanden compressor.

I would like to hear more about your car and one of the things I've noticed about your pictures is the similarity in paint color between your avanti and mine. Because I am an alumnus of the University of Alabama (Crimson Tide) I chose to have my car painted a non-factory color. It has been painted Chrysler (Dodge) Inferno Red Crystal Pearlcoat.

Here's my photobucket slide show of its progress ... My link

okc63avanti - stayed pretty stock w/my color which is the original Avanti Red ( tho' it looks more primary red in the photo ). Jon Myers worked on my car in the mid-late 90's for the prior owner and basically did the same set up on mine you're getting - in those days I think he called it an R-2 & 7/8ths set up. Have been told our set up is a much better driving experience than a pure R-3. Anyway - am about at the end of my resto now so will be able to run this sucker some and enjoy it. Good luck on yours - Myer's are the folks to have involved for a first rate job in my book.

okc63avanti - stayed pretty stock w/my color which is the original Avanti Red ( tho' it looks more primary red in the photo ). Jon Myers worked on my car in the mid-late 90's for the prior owner and basically did the same set up on mine you're getting - in those days I think he called it an R-2 & 7/8ths set up. Have been told our set up is a much better driving experience than a pure R-3. Anyway - am about at the end of my resto now so will be able to run this sucker some and enjoy it. Good luck on yours - Myer's are the folks to have involved for a first rate job in my book.

Mike is done with engine, chassis (powder coated), suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes and we coverted the rear end to flanged alloy axles, Auburn gear posi-trac and a 3:73 ration to go with the 5 speed. The body is painted and will soon be reunited with the chassis and then we will finish interior redo. Mike expects to be done sometime in 1st quarter of 2011. I can't with to get her back and start making shows with it. Good luck on yours as well.

Folks - my re-chromer lost both rear tail light assemblies for my '63 while re doing all my chrome. Any tips on accessing a nice NOS set somewhere?

I have a NOS set with the double light holes. With NOS lenses and gaskets if interested.

Roland