Trunk Carpeting, number of pieces & changes

BillyBob

At the 2019 AOAI International Convention in Dayton, my curiosity was raised for understanding variances seen in Studebaker Avanti trunk carpeting. 

My intent is to help improve the quality and authenticity of both restored and maintained Studebaker Avantis and their pieces and parts.  And, in summarizing my findings on both the SDC and AOAI forums, hopefully more clarity will evolve for the marque.

Please see attached file for my summary to date.

Thanks, BillyBob

Avanti trunk carpet SDC AOAI February 2020.pdf

Bill, I've owned my Avanti (63R1348) for 48 years and it has the original trunk carpet, and even though I tipped you to my purchase of the Home Depot Carpet last year, I've never gotten around to redoing the trunk carpet. But I will someday. As far as know all the pieces are there.

IF you would like photos or information regarding the original carpet in my car............just ask. More than willing to help.

John Brissette

Great article and information.

I ordered a trunk carpet for my 78 from a Internet ad for $70 with shipping.  While the carpet was excellent and it it fit perfectly it was only the floor piece.

As I am doing a full restoration and the car is a 78 Avanti II and I am not too concerned about full authenticity as I would if it was 63 or 64.

I decided to remove all the glue and sand the sides.  I can see why they added the carpet as there was a lot of unsanded 'bondo' areas.

I am painting the trunk a matching color of the car.  I think it looks better than all the carpet pieces.

JLBKY (John), thanks for input.  Yes, your "tip" (thought I recognized the AOAI "Handle") on Home Depot was spot on - thanks!  And, yes(!) I'd like some photos.  Understand "weather" may get in the way of taking - that's OK, I plan to be around awhile.  I'm particularly interested in knowing if you have all 11 pieces in your Avanti that I've identified.  Particular photos of interest are,

• the brackets that hold up Item 1 in my sketch - both LH & RH sides if possible; interested in knowing how and where attached
  • how Item 2 is installed (dressed) around the antenna
  • does Item 9 have the hole for emergency release from someone locked inside the trunk (assumes that person took a screw driver with him!)
  • photos showing that Items 6 & 7 are glued to the walls of the spare tire well

...and any other photos you think might be helpful.

R2W55, glad you appreciate the info.  The $70 piece you ordered - was it one piece to cover both sides?  You are a brave person to take on the challenge of sanding and painting the inside surfaces of the quarter panels!  I'd be stiff and sore about 5 minutes into the job!  I wish you well!  I believe your "equivalent" of Item 9 may be a molded plastic piece.  I once had a '77 but wasn't into much more than getting it to run at the time.  Long ago sold.

Bill

Actually I scrapped most of the glue off with a razor blade, same as I scrapped off all the paint off the outside of the car.  All it need then was a light sanding except near the trunk lip where there was a lot of excess bondo.

The carpet is 1 piece, not cut out for the tire well.  So I am trying to decide if I keep it one piece and not glued down to access the spare, or cut out the circle and and sew on edging.

I ordered the carpet from a site on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/usr/benher58?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

They also had a full carpet set ($260) which I bought and and again was very high quality but was for a 63/64 and needed a little modification for the 78.  Even included the door pieces and alternate pieces for AC or no AC..

I am also modifying the latch to accept both a trunk cable and an electric solenoid.  I have most of the mechanics down (you have to separate the cable actuator from the solenoid) and the springs are giving me some concern.. If anyone is interested I'll post some pictures when I get it all figured out.

Edited by R2W55
hit send too early

On 2/23/2020 at 4:18 PM, BillyBob said:

At the 2019 AOAI International Convention in Dayton, my curiosity was raised for understanding variances seen in Studebaker Avanti trunk carpeting. 

My intent is to help improve the quality and authenticity of both restored and maintained Studebaker Avantis and their pieces and parts.  And, in summarizing my findings on both the SDC and AOAI forums, hopefully more clarity will evolve for the marque.

Please see attached file for my summary to date.

Thanks, BillyBob

Avanti trunk carpet SDC AOAI February 2020.pdf 863.42 kB · 21 downloads

I've owned both early '63 and late (square light) Studebaker Avantis, and always thought that the black trunk carpeting was the same 'across the board'.:o

I'd be interested to know if there actually were changes made in regard to Studebaker Avanti trunk carpeting during the production run.

15 hours ago, JLBKY said:

IF you would like photos or information regarding the original carpet in my car............just ask. More than willing to help

Same goes for me... ol #388 went into hibernation in ‘72, and most of the small details are untouched.  

if helpful, photos/images can also be sent to wckrueger@yahoo.com

I "believe"  carpeting changed "sometime" during Studebaker's short run of Avanti....Stay Tuned.

Here are photos from my Avanti  63R1348  Hope these help you . I'll post them in two posts. IF you are wondering what that "thing" is hanging down in photo #2, it is an Inertia Switch, that cuts off the electric fuel pump if the car is hit. From what I saw in you drawings, I believe all of the pieces are in my car.

mLkKdNz.jpg

T3jYmFe.jpg

oQhug8h.jpg

SdHfi4a.jpg

FE87Lld.jpg

gSKexE1.jpg

Edited by JLBKY

JLBKY, very helpful - thank you very much!  You have preserved well the trunk carpeting!  Suspect exterior, mechanicals, interior are similar.

If possible, a close-up of the bracket(s) holding up the fuel tank/seat back carpet would be helpful.  I note there are screws used at the top of this piece - I presume they were there when purchased.  Yes?

I also see a screw at the top of the cover over the trunk latch.  Also, as purchased/built to the best of your knowledge?

Good move on the inertia switch.  Why an electric fuel pump?

...hard to believe a grown man can get so excited about a 57 year-old car!

Bill, I'll take some more photos and see if I can get you what you would like to see. Regarding the screws that you have commented on..........I do not have a present recollection regarding those screws, but believe that I would have replaced screws that were there. So, I believe the screws were original to the car.

As the the electric fuel pump..........It is an aircraft fuel pump and helps / eliminates vapor lock. It is located just below the tank, and is used in conjunction with the mechanical pump. It is operated by a momentary contact switch at start up, or when driving in slow, extremely hot driving. When it is off, the mechanical pump, will pull through the electric pump.

The rest of the car is in very good shape and took a 1st place Modified, Studebaker Powered, in St Louis in 2015.     R1, bored .60 over, balanced, big valves, AC, PS,PW PB Auto.,Corvette Disc Brakes front and Rear,  2 inch dropped KING PINS, Quick Steering, BIG Sway Bars, drives like a Go Kart.Recently had lunch with the original purchaser.

Might be a day or so before I get the photos. Stay tuned.

John

• 1 month later...