Blaupunkt Radio

sat65

The Blaupunkt radio in my 84 Avanti was dead when I bought the car. I pulled it out and hooked it up, and it seems to work except that the volume is VERY low. I thought it would be a good idea to replace the tape player belts while I had it out. With the tape transport out, everything else is visible. No sign of any power transistors or ICs. Based on that, along with the low volume, I'm assuming that this is a 2 piece stereo with a separate power amp. True? Where is the power amp located? I'd like to bench test the whole system before putting it back in the car.

Then I need to igure out why there is no 12v getting to the head unit...

One other question. I pulled the coin cup from the top of the dash in order to get the radio out. Under the cup is a circuit board with a few IC's and several other components. What is the function of this circuit card?

Thanks,

Paul

My 83, #3771, did not have the circuit board you mentioned. Maybe it's an amp? You've checked the 10 amp radio-tape-cruise control fuse? It's the middle fuse in the lowest row that has three fuses side by side.

The radio in mine didn't work either. In my case it would produce nothing but faint static. Replaced it with a modern radio/CD player unit. I cut the stock radio faceplate opening larger to fit the new unit It looks better than the Avantis I've seen where the owner eliminated the Avanti's stock faceplate and used the faceplate surround piece that came with the radio.

• 4 weeks later...

I got the radio to power-up in the car now. The problem was a bad ground connection.

Unfortunately, just as it was on my bench, there is very little volume. Cranked full blast it isn't loud enough to be heard over engine/wind noise.

I'm still wondering if there is a seperate power amplifier somewhere.

I got the radio to power-up in the car now. The problem was a bad ground connection.

Unfortunately, just as it was on my bench, there is very little volume. Cranked full blast it isn't loud enough to be heard over engine/wind noise.

I'm still wondering if there is a seperate power amplifier somewhere.

I'm not familiar with the Blaupunkt radios...my '70 came with one according to the build sheet but it was long gone by the time I bought the car. It's possible it has a separate power section...you'll have to look around under the dash and see if you see one or a place where it may have been mounted (I saw no evidence of one in my car when the dash was out). Do the power leads go right to the 12 volt source and look like original wiring or have they been spliced up before? Does the radio have a schematic either on the outside of the case or even on the inside of the case? If so, that should tell you. Do a web search for Blaupunkt and see if you can come up with a schematic online or an information source on the brand.

The radio, if it isn't supposed to have a separate power amp, could have a bad power section of its own. Another possibility is the speakers...if they're of the wrong impedance or the magnets are too large for the radio's designed output power, you'll get poor sound volume. If the speakers are connected out of phase you'll get poor sound. Being in phase is when the + and - speaker wires are connected to the proper + and - connectors on the speakers themselves.

I used to have a '67 Dodge Charger that I replaced the dash speaker (it only had an AM radio) with one the same size, same impedance, but the magnet was much larger than the original and I could barely get decent volume at all. The radio was operating properly, but it simply could not put enough enough power to get the speaker to do more than a whisper. The magnet wasn't receiving sufficient power to move the speaker fabric. The proper speaker cured the problem. I'm not saying this is your problem, but it's something for you to check into.

If you want to keep the radio, maybe an aftermarket pre-amp will work...maybe an auto stereo store can guide you on that.

Everything is basic...start with checking your speakers, their impedance, and whether they're good and matched to the radio. Check all your connections and eliminate one potential problem source at a time. If your radio has a bad power section it needs to be rebuilt by a radio shop that specializes in auto radios. They're out there.

• 5 years later...

My '85 came with a Blaupunkt Sacramento with a separate amplifier on the back wall of the trunk. In 1998 the previous owner replaced the head unit but left the amp intact. I found another Sacramento and had it rebuilt and will re-install this this winter. I have a full service manual with schematics and parts list for the Blaupunkt Sacramento if anyone is in need.

My 85 has the Blaupunkt too , not sure if it is the Sacramento. Mine seems to not have a lot of volume control, not a lot of base response, is this a symtem of amp. not up to potential? Or is it time for new speakers? How would you test the amp. to be sure it was doing it's job? Lou Cote PS, James what wheels are hiding under the stock hubcaps? Are you attending the Kansas meet ?

Avanti Motors advertised that they installed as an option the Blaupunkt Berlin model stereo but they could easily have substituted another model as availability required. Blaupunkt named their radio models after cities but I would think most were essentially the same with minor differences.

As all manufacturers do, Avanti Motors added the disclaimer to their literature that they reserved the right to change specs and options as necessary without prior notification.

Here is a photo of the Sacramento:

blaupunkt.jpg

My fiancee is the stereo wizard in the house - when we get to install time (as I doing the carpets), I'll post more here.

The car came with the steel wheels and hubcaps on it when I bought it, and a set of rusty wire wheels in the trunk. Now the car looks like this:

Avanti.jpg

These are Mercury Marquis wheels I had refinished locally and some generic caps found online. One of these days I will have my vinyl sign place cut me four "avanti" logos to put on them.

Would love to get rid of the steel wheels and tires which are taking up space in my garage...

I'm on the fence about the KC show. We have a big local show that same weekend that I work may require me to attend, and we have a two-week trip to Japan planned for October, so time off may be in short supply regardless.

My 85 has the Blaupunkt too , not sure if it is the Sacramento. Mine seems to not have a lot of volume control, not a lot of base response, is this a symtem of amp. not up to potential? Or is it time for new speakers? How would you test the amp. to be sure it was doing it's job? Lou Cote PS, James what wheels are hiding under the stock hubcaps? Are you attending the Kansas meet ?

That's the first I've heard of Avanti advertising they were using the Berlin. It would be interesting to me to know when this was, as by the mid-80s, the Berlin was a single DIN (no shafts to the left and right of the unit) and was a much higher end unit than the Sacramento. The Berlin of that era had a remote "stalk" that I seem recall being in a Touring Coupe I saw once, but to me, it would stand to reason that economics at the end of the Blake era could have meant a reduction in stereo spec.

Avanti Motors advertised that they installed as an option the Blaupunkt Berlin model stereo but they could easily have substituted another model as availability required. Blaupunkt named their radio models after cities but I would think most were essentially the same with minor differences.

As all manufacturers do, Avanti Motors added the disclaimer to their literature that they reserved the right to change specs and options as necessary without prior notification.

Yes, i believe that I also have the same Sacramento model, the Touring Coupe' option covers the end shafts with the annodized aluminum plates. Also part of the Touring Coupe' option are the western aluminum wheels. Still unanswered is how to test the rear bulkhead mounted amp. Lou Cote

I found wood trim covers that match the rest of my interior for the original end shafts in my glove box. I'm glad the stereo shop that replaced the Blaupunkt back in 1998 saved them.

I do have an operators manual for the Sacramento as well as a full wiring diagram/parts list.I'll try to get them scanned this week and put on my site as PDF files.

Would love to see your window sticker...

James

Yes, i believe that I also have the same Sacramento model, the Touring Coupe' option covers the end shafts with the annodized aluminum plates. Also part of the Touring Coupe' option are the western aluminum wheels. Still unanswered is how to test the rear bulkhead mounted amp. Lou Cote

Another question, do you have an owners manual for this radio? that is one of the things missing from my glovebox. I did find the Marony sticker in the trunk however. Thanks Lou Cote

Another question, do you have an owners manual for this radio? that is one of the things missing from my glovebox. I did find the Marony sticker in the trunk however. Thanks Lou Cote

Here is the link to my blog post on the Blaupunkt Sacramento: http://avanti4245.com/2016/08/30/blaupunkt-sacramento/

Link to PDF is in there...still working on the scan of the Service Manual, schematics and parts list.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...