Sign in to follow this  
Billy Shears

Headliner material

I am in the process of redoing my Avanti's interior -- almost all of it myself -- and I got a new dash pad from Dan Booth (the repros he's making on the old tooling; I'm very happy with it and it looks fantastic), and I got the interior kit from Rene Harger.  I'm about 2/3rds done now, but one thing neither Messrs. Booth nor Harger have is a headliner.  I don't really want to use the solid fiberglass pieces that Studebaker International sells.  Does anyone know of a decent facsimile of the checkerboard pattern headliner material they put on these cars from the factory?  The closest I can find is a diamond pattern, which I don't really like the looks of.

BTW: I am never restoring another old car again as long as I live!

Edited by Billy Shears

Check with Jon Myer of Myer's Studebaker.  He has repops of the original but for all I know they may be the same as what SI sells.

Billy, regarding the dash pad from Dan Booth, is that the material type that adhere on top of the original dash that was molded plastic?  Im just curious as years ago when I had an Avanti II and the original dash was cracked on top, I bought a black carped type pad that used velcro to secure it to the top of the dash

thanks,  just an inquiry

Mark 

4 hours ago, MARK said:

Billy, regarding the dash pad from Dan Booth, is that the material type that adhere on top of the original dash that was molded plastic?  Im just curious as years ago when I had an Avanti II and the original dash was cracked on top, I bought a black carped type pad that used velcro to secure it to the top of the dash

thanks,  just an inquiry

Mark 

No, it's not the carpet pad that covers the dash and conceals cracked vinyl -- my car had that sort of dash cover when I bought it; no doubt purchased because the dash was sun-damaged and cracked all to hell.  No, this is a new dash cover -- vinyl-covered foam -- that's glued on after you tear off the old, original vinyl and foam dash pad.  When the installation is done, your dash should like like it did when it came from the factory.  It's not cheap, but it costs about the same as sending it out to Just Dashes and having them recover the dashboard (which is really your only other alternative),  As I said, I bought the new dash pad from Dan and installed it myself, per his instructions, and it looks great.