power steering

ramber8688

i am restoring a r1 63 avanti vin 63r2970 . it has manual steering. i want to convert it to power steering. on ebay there is a compete ps system but it fits a 61 hawk. will this work ? if not what are the diferences ? I have installed the quick steering arms and already have a pump. the eaton box is in good condition. if this system is not conpatible, which ones are

thanks.

Try posting this question on the Studebaker Drivers Club Forum.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/

ErnieR

i am restoring a r1 63 avanti vin 63r2970 . it has manual steering. i want to convert it to power steering. on ebay there is a compete ps system but it fits a 61 hawk. will this work ? if not what are the diferences ? I have installed the quick steering arms and already have a pump. the eaton box is in good condition. if this system is not conpatible, which ones are

thanks.

thanks.

I believe that the ratio in the manual steering box is different to the power steering one. Whether that makes any difference i'm not sure.

pb

I believe that the ratio in the manual steering box is different to the power steering one. Whether that makes any difference i'm not sure.

pb

The manual steering does have a different ratio (22:1 I believe), though a faster ratio (16:1 power steering ratio...again I'm not sure) was a special order option, but greatly increased steering effort. It has to do with mechanical advantage...make the manual steering easier to turn, but at an increased number of turns lock-to-lock of the steering wheel. It effectively increased the turning radius of the car.

To add power steering to a manual steering car you should change the steering box as well...unless it has the optional quick steering ratio. Without changing the steering box from 22:1 to the 16:1 ratio, you're really not gaining any performance...just a little less effort.