Avanti Carpet question

okc63avanti

I posted this on Studebaker Forum but have had no answers yet plus it will be down tomorrow for a switch over to new software.

Was the original factory carpet in Studebaker Avanti cars a loop pile or a cut pile carpet? Any opinions on which is more dense and more durable?

Thanks,

I posted this on Studebaker Forum but have had no answers yet plus it will be down tomorrow for a switch over to new software.

Was the original factory carpet in Studebaker Avanti cars a loop pile or a cut pile carpet? Any opinions on which is more dense and more durable?

Thanks,

I didn't get any forum responses but I did get an e-mail from JDP (John Poulos) with an answer, so I will post it here for those with inquisitive minds.

Studebaker factory carpet was a loop pile versus the cut pile. According to JDP he thinks the loop pile will be less likely to mat down over time.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still pretty early in the Avanti learning curve, but I found the information at "The Avanti.com" to be really informative:

http://www.theavanti...mbinations.htm#

You can click on the various interior combinations to see good illustrations. Rene Harger, one of the vendors (http://southeaststudebaker.com/) of top quality Stude interiors, has told me that there are suitable replica materials available for all the '63-'64 carpets except the '63 red/black multicolor. For those there is only the black as an substitute. Rene did a beautiful job on the Rangoon Red cut pile carpet kit for my '55 Speedster.

Gil

"Studebaker factory carpet was a loop pile versus the cut pile. According to JDP he thinks the loop pile will be less likely to mat down over time."

I went through the same thing last year that you are going through now. I have a 64 Avanti with black carpet. I questioned the people at Phantom Auto Works, Dave Thebeault, The Avanti cheif judge at the Iowa nationals, and several others. The final determination was-----The origional Avanti carpet was a cut pile. The yarn has a twist that makes it look like loop pile. However, the test is to take a small nail or safety pin and slide it into the pile. Try to pull upward. If it was loop, you would not be able to pull the pin up. However I was able to pull the pin up through the pile. As I said the type of twist makes it look like loop. I chose to use cut pile. If you have multicolor carpet, I think the only type available is loop. Even the black loop looks much like origional. The whole discussion was on the SDC forum last year, around October. Good luck.

I went through the same thing last year that you are going through now. I have a 64 Avanti with black carpet. I questioned the people at Phantom Auto Works, Dave Thebeault, The Avanti cheif judge at the Iowa nationals, and several others. The final determination was-----The origional Avanti carpet was a cut pile. The yarn has a twist that makes it look like loop pile. However, the test is to take a small nail or safety pin and slide it into the pile. Try to pull upward. If it was loop, you would not be able to pull the pin up. However I was able to pull the pin up through the pile. As I said the type of twist makes it look like loop. I chose to use cut pile. If you have multicolor carpet, I think the only type available is loop. Even the black loop looks much like origional. The whole discussion was on the SDC forum last year, around October. Good luck.

Thanks for the input. I'm not too concerned with originality as the car is being modified. I just wanted a nicer more durable carpet so I ultimately order an 80/20 blend (upgrade from what most vendors advertise) loop pile in black. I'll let you know what its like when it get installed and get a chance to see. The car is 1000 miles away from me in Ohio where its being restored.

• 1 month later...

I'm still pretty early in the Avanti learning curve, but I found the information at "The Avanti.com" to be really informative:

http://www.theavanti...mbinations.htm#

You can click on the various interior combinations to see good illustrations. Rene Harger, one of the vendors (http://southeaststudebaker.com/) of top quality Stude interiors, has told me that there are suitable replica materials available for all the '63-'64 carpets except the '63 red/black multicolor. For those there is only the black as an substitute. Rene did a beautiful job on the Rangoon Red cut pile carpet kit for my '55 Speedster.

Gil

"Studebaker factory carpet was a loop pile versus the cut pile. According to JDP he thinks the loop pile will be less likely to mat down over time."

/Gil, you said all the carpets are being made now except the red/black carpet. Does this mean there is an orange/black carpet available???

Roland

I purchased my new carpet set from John Polous Historic Automotive, it is solid black and I chose to upgrade to a higher quality 80/20 blend loop carpet over the least expensive set.

http://stude.com/covers/

Send him an email or call him with your questions. I believe none of the factory original speckled carpet colors can be exactly matched. (black/red, black/turquoise or black/orange). There are multi-colored capets that are close but not exact. If you are restoring for 100% originality for judging, I'm not sure how the close but not exact carpets would score, hopefully being that exact is unavailable you wouldn't be deducted for it. If someone has experience in being judged with the close but not exact multi-color carpet please chime in on this post. If there is a possibility of negative judging, I think (not 100% sure) that the interior colors schemes that used the speckled colors also used solid black.