88 avanti. Your opinion?

Sal

I'll be looking at an 88 Avanti later this week. I know it does not have hog troughs but is mounted on a full Chevy frame. Does this in any way compromise the handling characteristics, ride, steer etc. It has a 305 rather than the 350 I would prefer. Should I expect noticeably different acceleration, top end etc? How is this year production viewed compared to older or more recent models/

Thanks, Sal

I'll be looking at an 88 Avanti later this week. I know it does not have hog troughs but is mounted on a full Chevy frame. Does this in any way compromise the handling characteristics, ride, steer etc. It has a 305 rather than the 350 I would prefer. Should I expect noticeably different acceleration, top end etc? How is this year production viewed compared to older or more recent models/

Thanks, Sal

I would think the car would likely perform as good or better than the Chevy it's based on...lighter fiberglass (or Kevlar) body compared to the original steel body. I understand the concern regarding the 305 engine compared to a 350, but you have to take into account few cars contemporary to it had any better performance. Today it might seem sluggish by comparison, but that can be taken car of by either an engine transplant or some work on the 305, depending on how it runs now and cost/benefit analysis of building the 305 up vs. a new crate engine.

This is my opinion and mine only, so take it with a grain of salt...the advantages of the '88 is a more modern chassis and its better handling over the 1953 design Studebaker chassis. I think availability of chassis parts is probably a wash as Stude parts are easy to come by, though you do have to order them and wait a week for delivery rather than go to a local parts store and ask for chassis parts for a Monte Carlo. The Chevy suspension is far more parts friendly should you desire some performance upgrades. The disadvantages are many of the interior and engine bay parts are non-standard compared to GM or earlier Avanti's and can be difficult to source if needed. Finding exterior trim like the rubber bumpers can be problematic to find should that be necessary. The later cars are definitely nice cars and have a high level of trim and comfort. Maybe someone who owns one of them can give a first hand account of the pluses and minuses of that generation Avanti.

I would think the car would likely perform as good or better than the Chevy it's based on...lighter fiberglass (or Kevlar) body compared to the original steel body. I understand the concern regarding the 305 engine compared to a 350, but you have to take into account few cars contemporary to it had any better performance. Today it might seem sluggish by comparison, but that can be taken car of by either an engine transplant or some work on the 305, depending on how it runs now and cost/benefit analysis of building the 305 up vs. a new crate engine.

This is my opinion and mine only, so take it with a grain of salt...the advantages of the '88 is a more modern chassis and its better handling over the 1953 design Studebaker chassis. I think availability of chassis parts is probably a wash as Stude parts are easy to come by, though you do have to order them and wait a week for delivery rather than go to a local parts store and ask for chassis parts for a Monte Carlo. The Chevy suspension is far more parts friendly should you desire some performance upgrades. The disadvantages are many of the interior and engine bay parts are non-standard compared to GM or earlier Avanti's and can be difficult to source if needed. Finding exterior trim like the rubber bumpers can be problematic to find should that be necessary. The later cars are definitely nice cars and have a high level of trim and comfort. Maybe someone who owns one of them can give a first hand account of the pluses and minuses of that generation Avanti.

Thanks, Sal

I have a 87 Avanti, they don't have hog troughs and the handling is much better then the Studebaker based Avanti's that I have driven. Coil springs on all four corners, ride is great. Easy to modify steering, suspension and brakes, just look for Monte Carlo performance parts.

Good luck,

Jim

Hi Gunslinger,

Just for the record I had my '87 Avanti weighted and with the fiberglass body it is 50 lbs. MORE than the Monte Carlo and its steel body. Thats some thick fiberglass. :D

Jim

Hi Gunslinger,

Just for the record I had my '87 Avanti weighted and with the fiberglass body it is 50 lbs. MORE than the Monte Carlo and its steel body. Thats some thick fiberglass. :D

Jim

I never would have guessed the same chassis with an Avanti body would weigh more than with its original steel body. I wonder if the GM specs for the Mone Carlo's weight were wrong? Maybe it depends on how "empty" weight is measured...with or without fuel, etc?

Thanks, Sal

hi Sal,

Have a 88 LSC #21, weighs 3860lbs.Best thing for the 305 is a chip. Put a 350 in. Better performace worse MPG.lol Handles better than any Studebaker Avanti. But then it a newer car with a older body on it.

Karl Sparks

I have an 88 and a 64. The ride and handling are completely different. The 88 steers better, stops better ( unless you've upgraded the brakes on the Stude ) and is much quieter. My '4 rides very nicely, less jiggle than the 88. If your Stude needs suspension work your opinion my be different but mine is all rebuilt and tight. The Monte Frame is extremely flexible and GM braced the bodies under the hood from cowl to fenders, cross braced at the radiator and on some G Body's behind the rear seat. The only bracing on the Avanti is cross bracing at the front suspension. Generally, though, the car rides nicely in a more modern way.

Look closely at the interior. The leather doesn't hold up well.

I repaired the huge sunroof leak in mine but still need to replace the windshield gasket to cure another big leak.

Electrical wiring inside is comical, interior build quality is poor. Lots of glue, lock switches and mirror switches just stuck in the holes with no backing for support, screws just screwed into fiberglass etc. More kitcar-ish than production car.

I don't know where the heater and A/C units came from but based on the cheap plastic blower motor it may be an aftermarket unit.

Now that I've bashed it let me say that I really like my 88. I drive it all over. It's been extremely reliable.

My favorite thing is the small steering wheel and steering column position. The column sits low almost in your lap and I'm sure that's why the wheel is only 14" but that happens to be the most comfy position or me.

The 88 is a double edged sword. The mechanicals are easy and familiar and if you don't change things you will have a reliable driver for many miles. Problem is, unless you have a patient and cheap mechanic or can do evrything yourself like I can the non Chevy stuff could drive you crazy.

ErnieR

Thanks, Sal