Wanted to buy 63-64 Avanti R-2

Pete

Dear AOAI members,

My dad had an Avanti that was cheerished by our family and now that I'm at least half way over the hill, I'd like to buy one. I'm much more gifted at woodworking than restoring classic cars, so I'm looking to buy a "Turn-Key" fully restored version of 63-64 R-2 Avanti. (little or no rust hopefully) I'd like to enjoy driving this Avanti over the road. I know this won't come cheap and don't want to become a car collector over time with my single focus (Avanti) interest. If you can point me in the right direction, I'll gladly return the favor, Thanks so much.

Pete

Dear AOAI members,

My dad had an Avanti that was cheerished by our family and now that I'm at least half way over the hill, I'd like to buy one. I'm much more gifted at woodworking than restoring classic cars, so I'm looking to buy a "Turn-Key" fully restored version of 63-64 R-2 Avanti. (little or no rust hopefully) I'd like to enjoy driving this Avanti over the road. I know this won't come cheap and don't want to become a car collector over time with my single focus (Avanti) interest. If you can point me in the right direction, I'll gladly return the favor, Thanks so much.

Pete

Pete, there are a number of Studebaker Avanti cars on E-Bay for sale. They are in various states of "need" Good luck. Keep in mind restoration is expensive. I bought a 64 R2 from the son of the second owner. While the car drove and was in a safe mechanical state, after a frame on restoration I added another $25-28K to the purchase price of $13K. I did all the mechanical work so that saved me easily another $10K.

Mark 1964 R2 #5140. By the way, not long after the car was completed, an uninsured NJ female motorist driving with her knee, on her cell phone and putting on makeup, she rear ended me. Repairs will be about $20K. She hit hard enough to break both motor mounts and the driver side exhaust manifold. Hopefully I get the car back mid May of this year. Good luck. Mark

Pete, there are a number of Studebaker Avanti cars on E-Bay for sale. They are in various states of "need" Good luck. Keep in mind restoration is expensive. I bought a 64 R2 from the son of the second owner. While the car drove and was in a safe mechanical state, after a frame on restoration I added another $25-28K to the purchase price of $13K. I did all the mechanical work so that saved me easily another $10K.

Mark 1964 R2 #5140. By the way, not long after the car was completed, an uninsured NJ female motorist driving with her knee, on her cell phone and putting on makeup, she rear ended me. Repairs will be about $20K. She hit hard enough to break both motor mounts and the driver side exhaust manifold. Hopefully I get the car back mid May of this year. Good luck. Mark

Thanks for your advice Mark, sorry to hear you got rear-ended. Hope repairs go well and your back on the road again in style soon!

Pete

Archived