No oil pressure on new engine rebuild

GLENNON

I tried to start my R1 engine but had no oil pressure. It seems the shaft from the distributor is not connecting into the oil pump. I had the engine rebuild but I am using the original distributor. Were there different oil pumps used for the Avanti? Mine is r1093. Any suggestion on what could cause the the problem? It seems that the shaft from the distributor is too short? I can turn the oil pump by hand with a long screw driver...?

I am guessing that the distributor is not fully "seated".  

EDIT:  And/or the distributor shaft is not entering the oil pump (off to a side).  

Edited by studegary

2 hours ago, GLENNON said:

I tried to start my R1 engine but had no oil pressure. It seems the shaft from the distributor is not connecting into the oil pump. I had the engine rebuild but I am using the original distributor. Were there different oil pumps used for the Avanti? Mine is r1093. Any suggestion on what could cause the the problem? It seems that the shaft from the distributor is too short? I can turn the oil pump by hand with a long screw driver...?

Unusual!....Hopefully the oil gallery plugs at the rear of the engine block were re-installed during the overhaul.....But, assuming the overhaul was done correctly............

1) Did you run the engine before the overhaul, and did it indeed have oil pressure?

2) Are you sure the oil pressure gauge is connected and in good condition?

3) Did you not see oil pressure while just cranking engine, or was the overhauled engine actually started and run?

All Studebaker oil pump driveshafts are the same length, so if the distributor was firmly 'seated' against the engine block, the oil pump should indeed be spinning.

If all else fails, cut off a long slotted screwdriver, place it in a drill, and spin the oil pump while watching the gauge....You will see oil pressure if everything in system is as it should be.

Keep us posted on this!.....Good luck.....Ed:)

2 hours ago, GLENNON said:

It does seem to sit all the way down without a gap. Is there trick to getting it seated?

Another possibility, although remote, is that the oil filter adapter at the right side of the engine block was removed during the overhaual and then re-installed with the wrong gasket or gasket installed upside down.....This could stop oil flow through the engine.

1. Is there oil pressure when you drive the oil pump with a shaft and drill motor?

2. If yes, verify the distributor gear is locked to the shaft and the lower shaft is locked to the upper shaft.

3. When installed, is the distributor flange fully seated against the block?

4. Is the distributor rotating when the engine is cranked over?

jack vines

Thank all of you for you advice. It seems there is a problem with the OIL pump. SI has rebuild kits and can send a rebuild with a core exchange. Can someone provide a replacement part number from another source? I want to get this on the road very soon.

5 hours ago, GLENNON said:

Thank all of you for you advice. It seems there is a problem with the OIL pump. SI has rebuild kits and can send a rebuild with a core exchange. Can someone provide a replacement part number from another source? I want to get this on the road very soon.

There's a Stude V8 oil pump rebuild kit for sale on e-bay now for $117.   (item # 182518644985)

This is the first I've ever heard of a Studebaker V8 oil pump failing!:o

17 minutes ago, mfg said:

There's a Stude V8 oil pump rebuild kit for sale on e-bay now for $117.   (item # 182518644985)

This is the first I've ever heard of a Studebaker V8 oil pump failing!:o

I agree.  There is usually a diminished volume/pressure, not a drop to zero, with  a worn pump.

Are you sure that you are experiencing "no" oil pressure as opposed to very low oil pressure?  Very low is usually the result of something like a left out plug (distributor tower - prime example).  

When testing the oil pump by motoring it with a long shaft and a drill motor, remember it turns counterclockwise.  I was called in to consult on an engine with an oil pressure problem.  They were driving the oil pump clockwise.

This is the first I've ever heard of a Studebaker V8 oil pump failing!

I agree.  There is usually a diminished volume/pressure, not a drop to zero, with  a worn pump.

X3 - I've never seen a failed pump.  Let us know what you find.

jack vines

Edited by PackardV8

Thanks again for all your help. The problem seems to be the shaft from the distributor is too large to fit into the OIL pump....? The engine was dismantled about 8 years ago by others and the parts where stored.  So either the distributor is wrong or the pump was replaced in the rebuild, there are no records. So I will rebuild the pump with a new shaft and see if it fits the distributor if not then I will be looking for a different  distributor and shaft.

The oil pump shaft does have a lot of wear on it and the shaft does not have clean slot, so I will start at the bottom and work my way up. This whole project has been like putting together a jigsaw puzzle and full surprises but the shop manuals have been a great help. I could not have gotten this far with out them. 

While rebuilding the motor in #388 several years ago, I found the oil pump was the single most difficult component to replace.  After locating several “better” cores, I decided to hunt down a NOS or repo, I wanted a “good” pump... this was no easy effort!  

Long story short... NOS was unobtainable, and the only repos I could find were poorly machined and so not an option.  I ended up brazing up my original housing, remachining the gear bores, and bushing the shaft bores to fit a new SI gear set.  

I hope all your pump needs is new gears... but give the pump housing a real close look over, there is a lot riding on its performance and reliability 

Oh yeah, at the time... SI told me they would only rebuild my supplied pump core as there were few rebuildable cores available.  Basically, if the pump housing did not show excessive wear... they would clean the core and install the new gears.  If housing wear was present, yur on your own to find a better core...