Stude Avanti Steering

mfg

I've personally driven a Studebaker Avanti with the optional 'quick ratio' manual steering, and found that car to be a 'bear' to maneuver at low speeds. However, the Avanti I drove had many miles on it, and the front suspension was "tired'.

My question is:....Did all Stude Avantis equipped with 'quick ratio' manual steering steer heavy at slow speeds, or was the difficult steering I encountered caused by a worn out front end?.....Opinions?

Edited by mfg

Li recently installed the quick steer arms on my 81 (RQB3263) and while it did speed up the geometry it made little difference especially after getting used to it for 10 minutes...ok it may be a little bit better but better than what...i think your steering stiffness is caused by lower pump press at idle and a 50’s vintage front suspension with a cobbed together power steer system....just like mine yes its not easy at low speeds and probably never will be...it also wanders at highway speed ...cant fix that also....solution....maybe buy an 87 or newer Avainti  !  Bill Gregg

3 hours ago, wildfelr said:

Li recently installed the quick steer arms on my 81 (RQB3263) and while it did speed up the geometry it made little difference especially after getting used to it for 10 minutes...ok it may be a little bit better but better than what...i think your steering stiffness is caused by lower pump press at idle and a 50’s vintage front suspension with a cobbed together power steer system....just like mine yes its not easy at low speeds and probably never will be...it also wanders at highway speed ...cant fix that also....solution....maybe buy an 87 or newer Avainti  !  Bill Gregg

The initial question was about manual steering, not power steering.  I have owned '63, '64 and '87 Avantis, all with power steering and have driven many others.  Yes, of course there is a difference with the 1987 and newer Avantis.  

21 hours ago, studegary said:

The initial question was about manual steering, not power steering.

True!.....Since we know it's a real' bear' to park a power steering equipped Studebaker Avanti (with the power steering not working), I wondered if the 'quick ratio' manual steering Avantis steer just as 'heavy' at slow speeds......After all, the quick ratio manual steering Avantis share the same 16-1 steering box as power steering equipped models!

I've owned 3 Avantis, all with power steering:  a '63, an '82 and an '85.  The '85 had the quick steering arm (shorter pitman arm), and thus the reduced leverage, and it definitely had a heavy feel at lower speeds and a bit of a tendency to wander at highway speeds.  The '63 and the '82 that I now have with the regular steering arm do not have either of those characteristics. The '63 was and the '82 is a true joy to drive under any conditions except in snow -- which is an issue with weight distribution, not steering.