backfiring w new pointless distributor

jlorini

I recently had old distributor replaced with electronic pointless distributor on my R-1. Plugs and wires were also replaced. Engine runs beautifully EXCEPT I get backfiring (popping sound) between 2,500-3,000 rpms on decelleration/coasting from that rpm range. This was NOT present with old distributor. Any thoughts on what is wrong?

coming off of hard acceleration, or daily driving? what type of dist? whats the timing set to? can be lots of different things. was the system built for a studebaker, or retrofit from spare parts? plugs the right kind/size gap? no wires crossed?

Edited by new2avantis

Personally I love that popping sound, tells me that I have really tuned my car for max performance. But, it is a real indication of a over rich fuel/air mixture at that RPM range.

George, RQB 1600

As an experiment try disconnecting the vacuum advance and plugging the line. If it improves you may have a sticking breaker plate. The vacuum advance is pulling hard at that rpm range while cruising and when you let off the gas the plate should return as vacuum diminishes. Just a thought and easy to try.

ErnieR

I recently had old distributor replaced with electronic pointless distributor on my R-1. Plugs and wires were also replaced. Engine runs beautifully EXCEPT I get backfiring (popping sound) between 2,500-3,000 rpms on decelleration/coasting from that rpm range. This was NOT present with old distributor. Any thoughts on what is wrong?

I just thought of something else...if you have a choice of ported and non-ported vacuum connection on your carb for the advance are you connected to the ported side ( passenger ) side of carb? If you have the original carb ignore this postrolleyes.gif

ErnieR