63 avanti trim

northshore avanti

I would like to know if any 1963 Avantis were manufactured without the chrome Studebaker emblem on the trunk. I have found what is identified as a 1963 Studebaker Avanti on Ebay but it has no emblem on the lower right of the trunk lid. The seller swears the car was never in an accident and there for the emblem was never there to begin with. Please advise.

They were all equipped with the chrome Studebaker emblem on the trunk. I've never seen a '63-'64 Avanti without it that wasn't the result of someone removing it and glassing over the holes. There are access holes on the interior of the trunk lid for the speed nuts that retain the studs of the emblem. The owner can look in there and see if he sees signs of glassing in the mounting holes. If there's no evidence of filler, then it's likely a replacement trunk lid.

He's very defensive about questions about possible mods or crash damage.

Someone noted that it's a Jan 1963 car and should have round headlights...the seller replies that according to his "expert" friend, it's a "transition" 63-64 car.

We all know that transition cars were later in 1963.

Heck, my car was built 250 units later and is not a "transition" car.

I'd love to tell him that, but no sense agruing with a guy on ebay.

It may be a decent car...but there are some issues here he doesn't want to acknowledge.

Why not just admit the possibility of it being a repaint...during which time the tail script was deleted and the headlights were changed?

Even if it's because of front end damage, that's okay in a 47 year old car.

It's okay if it not a pristine never-been-painted/damaged virgin...unless you're trying to get virgin money for it. :)

Edited by J Boyle

The car has definitely been repainted that color is not a Stude color. If you look closely at the full front shot you can see what looks like a mis-alignment on the driver's side front fender at the top which I believe is poor bonding. It's missing the hood ornament also.

The current owner might not know the car was altered and painted but it obviously was. It doesn't seem to be a bad car for the price but I would definitely want to look at it in person to check the quality of the body work and paint.

However, considering there are R1's popping up frequently and the square headlight alteration does not add any value, in fact it probably detracts, paying a little more for a car that isn't altered would be money well spent. IMHO.

ErnieR

• 2 months later...

I would like to know if any 1963 Avantis were manufactured without the chrome Studebaker emblem on the trunk. I have found what is identified as a 1963 Studebaker Avanti on Ebay but it has no emblem on the lower right of the trunk lid. The seller swears the car was never in an accident and there for the emblem was never there to begin with. Please advise.

When I bought my car in 1970 the emblem was gone and the holes filled but the seller had put an Avanti logo (same as the nose) on the left side of the trunk. The car was never in a collision but the fellow I bought it from was the second owner and he seemed to like people asking him what kind of car it was and who made it. Even in the late sixties a lot of people didn't know what an Avanti was. He gave me the Studebaker emblem when I bought the car.

• 2 months later...

I always wondered why the"STUDEBAKER" script on the trunk of the original Avanti's

has square,(rectangular) pins instead of round ones like on the identical script on Studebakers.

The partsbook shows different part numbers and with the Avanti it shows #6-32 stamped nuts G441251 and 1331877 sealer.

It maybe that the rectangular pins were self threading when used with the stamped nuts.

Looking at N.O.S. samples I have ,the nut is a domed stamped nut and the sealer is a sponse rubber washer.

Robert Kapteyn