Eighth R3!

mfg

Although it's probably not a good idea to make modifications to any of the nine "production line" R3 equipped Studebaker Avantis, one major modification was made to production R3 Avanti #8.

What was that modification?

2 hours ago, mfg said:

Although it's probably not a good idea to make modifications to any of the nine "production line" R3 equipped Studebaker Avantis, one major modification was made to production R3 Avanti #8.

It was built as a white automatic.  I will guess that it was converted to a four speed.  I don't remember that happening to that Avanti, but I will go with that as my guess.

21 hours ago, studegary said:

It was built as a white automatic.  I will guess that it was converted to a four speed.  I don't remember that happening to that Avanti, but I will go with that as my guess.

Not a bad guess, but unfortunately not the correct one!:(

Anyone else like to venture a guess?:huh:

37 minutes ago, r1lark said:

Are you talking about R5642 which supposedly had some sort of rear axle upgrade?

That sounds familiar, but how could that be considered a "major modification"?

2 hours ago, r1lark said:

Are you talking about R5642 which supposedly had some sort of rear axle upgrade?

Yes, the eighth 'production line' R3 Studebaker Avanti is R5642......I've never heard of a "rear axle upgrade" on this Avanti.......And that's not the major modification I'm referring to here.

Any other thoughts on this trivia question?:huh:

On 1/21/2020 at 7:12 PM, mfg said:

Power steering was added.

Dual master cylinder was also added.

5 hours ago, Regnalbob said:

Power steering was added.

Dual master cylinder was also added.

RIGHT!:)..........R5642 was originally fitted with 'quick ratio' manual steering.........Power steering was added sometime later.