Hood Hinges and advice

A83

Just came back from any auto body shop to get a paint touch up estimate.  He noticed the right side hinge was separating from the hood.  Any advice on if I  need new hinges and if there are hidden bushings or anything? The hood is now off center  when closed meaning it fits tight to  the body when closed in some places and wide in others.  Also when opening, it's loose enough to catch the nose and chip the paint. 

Any advice on how this should be fixed in case there are any hidden parts I need to get or tell the Auto body guy about would be appreciated.  

Thanks very much.

Kevin A-83

Not sure if this helps or not but sometimes the fibreglass section where the hinge bolts to the body (ie the hinge pocket) cracks and breaks. If that it the source of the problem then repair or replace that section. My passenger side had that problem.

pb

Edited by 1963r2

If your auto body repairman is unable to analyse the problem and propose a solution, you need a new auto body repairman.   Odds are that the fiberglass is broken where the steel nut plate is located.  If that's the case, best repair is made with the hood removed.  Be sure that your auto body guy is experienced in fiberglass repairs.

Thank you both .  It is separating where the connection is made to the hood and the hood will be coming off.

I don't think I need new hinges do I.?  They look pretty strong.

Thank you. 

As already noted, the fiberglass is probably delaminating or whatever occurs when it comes apart with age and vibration or the hood has been dropped to close rather than lowered and pushed shut at the latch pins.  They're a good place to check as well.  The hinges themselves are pretty substantial.  A good fiberglass man should be able to repair it.  

Again as noted, they bolt to thick metal plates imbedded in the fiberglass hood structure. Pretty straight forward repair once the hood is off. I doubt the hinges need replacement as You'll probably see they move easily when they're off, a pretty basic hinge joint.

Thank you - the hinges are a bolt mount from outside and look pretty strong - can’t feel any bolts on the other side but not sure .... 

thanks again I was referring to the hinge bolts that bolt the hinge inside the front engine compartment as the body guy was wondering what was behind the opening - like bolts or bushings 

Thanks again - was referring to the bolts that secure the hinge to the interior front engine compartment - body shop guy was wondering what was in there like bolts or bushings 

I have a feeling the upper 'skin' of your Avanti's hood may be separating from the underneath structure.... This situation is becoming quite common with Avanti hoods....If so, now would definitely be the time to re-bond these two fiberglass panels together.........Ed

Thank you - something definitely coming apart / appreciate all the advice I am getting here - trying to find out as much as I can before bringing it to the body shop on March 2 

• 2 weeks later...

I used a 3m panel bond product to correct the separation of the inner and outer skin of the hood. My issue was along the front outer edge and about 50% up the passenger side. So far it is holding up after one season.   https://www.amazon.com/3M-Adhesive-Manual-Applicator-Sticker/dp/B00KSF9TCW/ref=asc_df_B00KSF9TCW/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312198394684&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16426298871750729568&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9011523&hvtargid=pla-569426468864&psc=1

Yes. First I removed as much of the old binding material by slipping sand paper between and I used my Oscillating saw with the below fitting where separation was the largest. Wipe down with mineral spirits.  Apply the epoxy. Then clamp being careful that you are aligning the inner and outer hood.  I let the product cure for over 24 hours.  I did one side at a time.   

rockwell 

Product Image 1

Edited by Bill Hanlon

• 1 month later...

I took the car to an  Autobody shop who fixed the fiberglass cracks on both sides of the hood where the hinges were. and repainted.  Came out really nice.  Not cheap, but came out nice.

Cost about 1500.

Thank you to everyone.

A83