Electric Fuel Pump

Stuart Suede

When I bought my 1963 R1 it had an electric fuel pump underneath the battery on the inner driver's fender.  i use these clear plastic universal fuel filters so I can see the filter's condition and gas flow.  What I've noticed is that the filter between the pump and the carburetor trickles gas through it - that is, it doesn't full up with gas as I think it should. And I notice on acceleration the engine hesitates, as if it doesn't have enough gas. This is after I've taken out the gas tank (for hot tanking and sealing), replaced the entire metal gas line from the tank to the engine, and installed a new electric fuel pump in the same location.

Another Avanti owner advised that it's best to place the electric pump in the back by the fuel tank (better gas volume pushing rather than pulling, or is it the other way around?)  The issue is that the gas line by the tank is 3/8" diameter and most electric fuel pumps for sale have either all 5/16" diameter, or inlet 5/16" and outlet 3/8".

Can anyone recommend an electric fuel pump that has 3/8" diameter inlet and outlet, auto shut-off in case the car's in an accident, and quiet?  Preferably something less than $50.  Thanks in advance. 

There are less expensive ways but I prefer Carter pumps like this on I mounted n my 74. Yours would need to be mounted on the drivers side but it gives me a chance to replace the old fuel line on the tank with alcohol rated shielded fuel line and let's me install a fuel regulator to adjust fuel pressure where I want it. The important number is not the fitting size but the flow rate that the pump will handle through what it is supplied with. Bigger is better, however.

I know there are decent in-line ones but this is my choice.

IAC, if you change the pump, take the opportunity to replace the fuel line on the fuel tank with new quality fuel line if you haven't done it recently.

Realistically, there probably $150 or so in the pump, filters, lines and regulator but fuel delivery is a belt and suspenders thing with me.

And yes! you can hear it when it starts running before the engine fires. No idea afterwards. 

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crt-p4070

qx0SmmM.jpg

Edited by Avanti83

17 hours ago, Stuart Suede said:

Thanks - this is most helpful.  My Carter rotary fuel pump is on order

BTW, one last answer I forgot, look for a Ford roll-over switch to turn off the power in case of an accident. Something like this but you can probably find them new .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/89-93-Ford-Ranger-Mustang-Fuel-Gas-Shut-Off-Inertia-Crash-Safety-Sensor-TESTED/274027726782?epid=1117881304&hash=item3fcd5347be:g:qccAAOSwSftdjjPF

11 hours ago, Avanti83 said:

BTW, one last answer I forgot, look for a Ford roll-over switch to turn off the power in case of an accident. Something like this but you can probably find them new .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/89-93-Ford-Ranger-Mustang-Fuel-Gas-Shut-Off-Inertia-Crash-Safety-Sensor-TESTED/274027726782?epid=1117881304&hash=item3fcd5347be:g:qccAAOSwSftdjjPF

I use these in my cars............go to Pull A Part, as I recall they are about $6.00 - $8.00.

These switches are found in Ford Trucks in the Kick Panels and in Crown Vics in behind the Left Side Trunk Liner, as well as in Mercurys and Lincolns.

Edited by JLBKY