Where to locate number on engine head

Mid Mod Guy

My 1963 R2 had the supercharger removed at a Studebaker dealership early on, and air conditioning was installed instead. In a recent conversation with the knowledgable folks at Myer Studebaker parts, they asked me if the head was replaced when the supercharger was removed. I don't know the answer to that. They said that I can look at the raised numbers on the head and if it ends in 582 it is a head from an R2 and if it ends in 570, it is the head from an R1. Can someone describe exactly where I should look for that number?

Thanks for your help.

3 hours ago, PackardV8 said:

It will be the casting number above the two center exhaust ports.  Verify both heads.

Can you be more specific about where to look? Do I need to remove anything to see the number? I found the number you can see in the attached photo, but I don't think that's it since it doesn't end in 582 or 570.

IMG_6446.jpg

Edited by Mid Mod Guy

3 hours ago, Mid Mod Guy said:

Can you be more specific about where to look? Do I need to remove anything to see the number? I found the number you can see in the attached photo, but I don't think that's it since it doesn't end in 582 or 570.

IMG_6446.jpg

The casting number pictured is on the block, not on a head.  Look midway on the head, like in Bob's picture.

The casting number you are looking for will be at the center of the three central cylinder head bolts, which are arranged in a' pyramid'.....(and NOT under the rocker arm cover!)