Avanti RQA-0042!

mfg

1 hour ago, mfg said:

No other thoughts here?:huh:

HINT!....Folks from the New England area would probably better remember/know this particular Avanti ll!

It is likely that I know the Avanti, but not by S/N.  I will make a WAG; it raced at Lime Rock.

3 hours ago, studegary said:

It is likely that I know the Avanti, but not by S/N.  I will make a WAG; it raced at Lime Rock.

Interesting answer, but unfortunately not correct!:(

i owned this car for a period, 5 years ago, purchased from irv borookow from connecticut. he had two, just 4 or 5 numbers apart and had sold the other one by this time. i didn't notice anything "special" about it. it had mild body modifications, the paint was terrible and it needed much help. in my opinion, and i have owned to this date 15 avantis, a restoration would have put one totally underwater. did i totally blow it and sold this car instead of keeping it and restoring same? please tell me what you know and i missed, ed. thanks

14 hours ago, arkus said:

i owned this car for a period, 5 years ago, purchased from irv borookow from connecticut. he had two, just 4 or 5 numbers apart and had sold the other one by this time. i didn't notice anything "special" about it. it had mild body modifications, the paint was terrible and it needed much help. in my opinion, and i have owned to this date 15 avantis, a restoration would have put one totally underwater. did i totally blow it and sold this car instead of keeping it and restoring same? please tell me what you know and i missed, ed. thanks

You mean you didn't find the box of gold coins taped under the glovebox:o????.......................JUST KIDDING:D!!!

Seriously, did this Avanti have dark green exterior paint and a green/black interior?.....If I did, I believe it was worked over by Tommy Tompkins in the '80's (I mentioned Mr. Tompkins in the "Merry Christmas to All" Avanti Trivia question.....he owned many nice Stude Avantis and early Avanti ll's.)

It sounds like it was in rough shape by the time you acquired it, however, it had Blake style Touring Coupe suspension, quick steering, and flared fenders to clear wider than normal tires.

If we are talking about the same car, it was quite nice when Tommy owned it!

PS....Do you happen to have any photos of RQA0042?....Thanks!...Ed

Edited by mfg

the box was empty when i acquired the car! it was as you described it, but quite rough. i knew tommy in the '80s but he never drove this car to vermont that i'm aware of. any time he stopped at my store he was always in a studebaker avanti. sorry, but i have no pics. bob's website has a couple.

4 hours ago, arkus said:

the box was empty when i acquired the car! it was as you described it, but quite rough. i knew tommy in the '80s but he never drove this car to vermont that i'm aware of. any time he stopped at my store he was always in a studebaker avanti. sorry, but i have no pics. bob's website has a couple.

Thanks for the info.....I'll check out Bob Johnstone's website!......Ed:)

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, 8E45E said:

WAG here.  First with a 400 cubic inch engine?

Craig

The interesting thing (to New Englanders) was that it was warmed over by Tommy Tompkins early in its life. Tommy was a big name in the Avanti world around here years ago!:)

I think it had/has a 327CI engine.