Electric Fuel Pump

avantinet

There's a number of good electric fuel pumps on the market...check Summit Racing or Jegs. They pretty much sell the same brands so it's based on who has the best price after you decide which to go with. One big advantage to an electric pump is there's no diaphragm to tear or break and dump gasoline right into the crankcase (been there done that with the '63 I used to own).

A couple of recommendations...an electric pump is meant to go back by the tank rather than under the hood. Electric pumps are more efficient at pushing fuel rather than pulling it like a mechanical pump does. You may need an adjustable regulator so you don't flood the carburetor. Also make sure you get pressurized fuel hose as regular gas line hose can burst under pressure. If you have the stock AM radio, you may need to add some shielding around an electric pump or you may get interference in the audio...back by the fuel tank mounted within some frame rails it may be sufficiently shielded. Also...electric pumps tend to be a bit noisy in their own right...some maybe better or worse than others, but you get used to the whine.

You can also mount a fuel filter close to the pump and that can clean up the appearance under the hood a bit. I would not use a plastic or glass fuel filter since they're under pressure. Get a metal fuel filter that has threaded connections since clamp-on types also aren't good for pressurized systems.

While you're back under the rear of the car putting the system together, you may want to consider installing a shut-off valve...not necessary but does make it easier when servicing the system later for any reasons.

When wiring the pump, connect it to the "run" side of the ignition...not the "accessory" side. The instructions that come with it should say that.

I'm not saying all this is difficult or not desirable, just trying to let you know some of the things you have to be prepared for. An electric fuel pump is a different animal from a conventional mechanical one. Here's a pic of the installation in my '70. It's not that great a view but you should be able to get an idea...

There's a number of good electric fuel pumps on the market...check Summit Racing or Jegs. They pretty much sell the same brands so it's based on who has the best price after you decide which to go with. One big advantage to an electric pump is there's no diaphragm to tear or break and dump gasoline right into the crankcase (been there done that with the '63 I used to own).

A couple of recommendations...an electric pump is meant to go back by the tank rather than under the hood. Electric pumps are more efficient at pushing fuel rather than pulling it like a mechanical pump does. You may need an adjustable regulator so you don't flood the carburetor. Also make sure you get pressurized fuel hose as regular gas line hose can burst under pressure. If you have the stock AM radio, you may need to add some shielding around an electric pump or you may get interference in the audio...back by the fuel tank mounted within some frame rails it may be sufficiently shielded. Also...electric pumps tend to be a bit noisy in their own right...some maybe better or worse than others, but you get used to the whine.

You can also mount a fuel filter close to the pump and that can clean up the appearance under the hood a bit. I would not use a plastic or glass fuel filter since they're under pressure. Get a metal fuel filter that has threaded connections since clamp-on types also aren't good for pressurized systems.

While you're back under the rear of the car putting the system together, you may want to consider installing a shut-off valve...not necessary but does make it easier when servicing the system later for any reasons.

When wiring the pump, connect it to the "run" side of the ignition...not the "accessory" side. The instructions that come with it should say that.

I'm not saying all this is difficult or not desirable, just trying to let you know some of the things you have to be prepared for. An electric fuel pump is a different animal from a conventional mechanical one. Here's a pic of the installation in my '70. It's not that great a view but you should be able to get an idea...