Clutch linkage travel

MarcD

I have a question about the clutch linkage on a manual transmission-equipped Avanti; I'm posting in the 63-64 forum because I think the vast majority of stick-shift Avanti's are Studebakers; not a lot of Avanti II's out there, and even fewer m/t cars.

I'm converting my '66 Avanti II from automatic to a T-5 manual transmission, and plan to use the Chevy T5 hydraulic slave cylinder and throwout assembly. I've acquired all the NOS Studebaker parts needed for the clutch actuation from the clutch pedal (including the shaft/manual brake pedal, various rods/clips/boots/shims/seals) to the chassis-mounted bell crank/pivot arm.

On the stock Avanti system, a rod connects from the bell-crank/pivot arm to the throwout arm to actuate the throwout bearing. What I need to know is what is the total length of travel of that connecting rod needed for full clutch operation. This would probably entail having a manual-transmission car up on a lift with one person depressing the clutch while another person measures the distance the rod travels from engaged to disengaged.

I would then use that measurement to select a master cylinder with matching stroke length/diameter to move the Chevy slave cylinder the correct travel.

I'd really appreciate any info provided!

Thanks,

Marc

Let me suggest an alternative as you will need to build a mounting for the clutch master. My assumption is you are using the Avanti/Lark clutch pedal so get a Camaro master cylinder, Determine the correct ratio of the Camaro pedal arm length to total length and mount the master based on that. You can check for travel but I'll bet you'll be all right.

The pictures won't help much but here's what I did. I do have pictures if necessary that photobucket hasn't mucked up.

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/tech-talk/69309-t-56-in-a-74-avanti-part-1-clutch-hydraulics

If you decide to go with an hydraulic throw out bearing just talk with the mfg about the master cylinder you need and go from there as above.

Just to be sure, The T-56 I chose came from the early 90's and was the LT-1series for dimensions and fitment purposes.

Edited by Avanti83

While the slave cylinder has the sole advantage of being externally replaceable, it's not the best for feel and actuation.

The hydraulic throwout bearing does require pulling the tranny if it ever needs replacing, but GM warrantied them for 50,000 miles.  How many years will it take us to drive an Avanti that many?  I like the ease of installation, the feel of the direct engagement so much that I now use the hydraulic throwout bearing on all my manual transmission conversions.  I even have one behind the Packard V8 in my E12 pickup.

jack vines