Johnny Carson Avanti

R4457

I have a lead on a chassis thit is supposedly from

Johnny Carson's Avanti.

They are trying to get me the serial number.

Does anyone know anything about Mr. Carson's Avanti.

This car has been wrecked but the chassis was saved.

This car was originally turquoise with turquoise interior.

R4457

Even if it could verified it came from Johnny's car, I don't see why it would mean anything...it's just a chassis, not a complete car that could tell us something about Johnny's tastes. Maybe bragging rights if that means anything. I always thought Johnny owned an Avanti II, but don't know that with any certainty.

• 2 years later...

I have a lead on a chassis thit is supposedly from

Johnny Carson's Avanti.

They are trying to get me the serial number.

Does anyone know anything about Mr. Carson's Avanti.

This car has been wrecked but the chassis was saved.

This car was originally turquoise with turquoise interior.

R4457

I was looking for prices for 63 avantis when I came across this. My dad has a 63 and always thought it could be Mr. Carsons because of the the parking sticker in the window. I'll have to check with my ad but it's either NBC or CBS. The original color was green. I can get you the chassis number if you are interested.

R4457 are you still looking for carsons 63 avanti? Very possible we have it. original paint was turquoise. has an NBC or CBS old parking sticker in front window, Id have to go check to see which one it is for sure. Will send you chassi number if interested.

• 1 month later...

One other point...when Carson owned his Avanti he was living in New York. He didn't move The Tonight Show to California until 1972.

There is a good chance he never drove it to work at NBC, he used a town car service.

• 6 years later...

Just came across this older post.......For what it's worth, an 'Avanti White' with turquoise and fawn interior 1963 Avanti 'rear clip' (rear half body shell) was advertised on an e-bay auction several years ago.....The seller mentioned it was what remained of Johnny Carson's 1963 Studebaker Avanti.:o

PS..........Auction was for rear half body only.....no chassis.

Edited by mfg