1964 Tach is not working

Andrew Maszczak

Starting to get familiar with my Avanti.  The first issue is that the Tach is not working.  Oh and the clock.  All the other internal electrical seems ok.  Is this a common problem, and is there any advice on where I should start?

Most likely is the tach sending unit is bad.  There's two kinds...look under the driver side of the dash and you should be able to see the sending unit attached the the steering column bracket.  The early type is a round, flat can and the second a smaller, square plastic case...both types have wiring going in a out.  Whichever type you have can be rebuilt or replaced.  Look in either Avanti Magazine or Turning Wheels and you'll find vendors who have either rebuilding services or sell modern replacements.

As far as the clock goes...that's normal for it to not be working after so many years.  A good clock shop should be able to clean and repair whatever it needs.  

3 hours ago, Andrew Maszczak said:

Thank you.  I'll look for the sending units and working out which one I have.  I will also look for a clock repairer.  Appreciate the help.

The clock can usually be brought back to life by opening the case and filing the contact points a bit with 600 grit sandpaper......Then lube all metal to metal areas of movement with very light machine oil....Make sure it's getting 12 volts, and it should 'spring' into action!:)

You can check the tach head separately from the sending unit to find out which  is not working. Connect a 9 volt transistor battery across  the tach terminals. If the meter is good, it will deflect fully.

Edited by brad