Passenger side power window motor

A83

I can only answer generically, b/c I'm not sure which motor the 1983 Avanti used... Nostalgic Motorcars could probably answer that question:  248-349-4884 

Here is an article on the original P/W setup, which was still used in my 1971 model; I know it was changed at some point

https://studebaker-info.org/Tech/Pwin/rkorb/rkrobpwinrep.html

The original motors were used on the cars below and can sometimes be found on eBay, but they're usually pricey.

1960 Ford/Lincoln part # C0LF-14553-A, or Bosch # M 05810. Ford station wagon tailgate window motor C0LF-14553-B may also work.

If the issue is a simple internal motor failure, a motor rebuilding service might be able to make repairs (many cities and large towns have electrical motor repair/rebuild shops)

Here's one Avanti owner who innovated: https://studebaker-info.org/Avanti/Tech/PWIN/nollerpwinp0913.html

I also sent you a private message.

Good luck and please let us know what motor your car has (part numbers & pics, please, to add to our knowledge) and how you make out with repairs.

Edited by WayneC

The 1983's used a GM style motor that wires up differently than the earlier types......I purchased one for my own '83 Avanti 'everyday driver' from Stude vendor Dave Thibeault....Tel# 978-897-3158....Tell him 'Ed' from the Avanti Forum sent you!!:)

Thank you everyone.  Ed I called Dave T and he remembered you.  He said he sold all of his to Myers .  He also said it is a Jeep Cherokee motor (Chrysler) 1984-86.  I called Myers and he said it is normally the sacrifice gear that breaks and not the motor.  Motor is 400 dollars and sacrifice gear is 70 dollars.  Myers said the way to check it is out an amp meter on it - if it goes crazy it's the motor - if it only moves a little it's the sacrifice gear which is designed to break under stress as a safety feature. 

5 hours ago, A83 said:

I ordered the Jeep motor 742305  - is there a part number for a Jeep left front that will fit the driver side in case that goes?

thanks 

Kevin A83

If I'm not mistaken, those power window motors are interchangeable right to left.

I did talk to Myers whosaid he has the motors for about $400 and Also advised many times it is the sacrifice gear and not the motor itself.   Also I found a company called Nu-Relics who makes the complete track , motor and regulator assembly which is supposedly stronger and more powerful.  They make the complete assembly with wiring and switch options at a cost of under $500 for both doors not each door.  Plus this product is guaranteed for life if you keep the receipt.  They have included specific Avanti years 1963-1991. Some options may increase the cost so check the website to check my accuracy.  Worth considering.

I searched Oreilys auto parts for an 85 Jeep Cherokee....not $400  how does $65 sound?  Don't settle for some lame price because they're an "expert" .  

• 2 weeks later...

Update - now the mechanic is telling me the Jeep Motor for the power window does not match up to the regulator.   Something about the year sizes being different .  Any advice?  

Also, they said they were able to get the power window motor workIng but the regulator is broken.   Any place I can get a regulator?  

Thanks.  This is getting frustrating. 

• 2 months later...