Considering an Avanti

Dave O

Depending on how restored, I'd guess anywhere between $15-30K. An R-2 with a 4-speed is worth a good size premium over that. And remember that a stock R-2 won't have AC.

The price guides seem to be a bit on the low side, so I'd recommend looking in Hemmings,

as well as AOAI's Avanti (hey if you're serious about buying one, join sooner rather than later), and the Studebaker Driver's Club monthly magazine, Turning Wheels.

Like Avanti for the AOAI, Turning Wheels is worth a SDC membership just for the ads.

Yes, you can get a running and driving R2 for $16K, but I bet it will still need lots of work, to include a supercharger rebuild, to make it really a good driver again. With that said, I decided to go for an original, unrestored R2. That was in October, and I am still throwing money at it to make it back on the road. You can see what I started with and what has been done to date at http://forums.aaca.org/f190/avanti-r2-1963-refresh-269244.html

I have had a great time bringing this Avanti back from the dead. Yes, it costs money, I figure I have close to 15K in it now and need to spend at least another 5K to make it a great driver. Still a lot cheaper than any other performance car that I know of.

John in VA

not from the dead, but mine http://avanti.sterkel.org is mechanically updated/fixed with my slow-and-steady approach. I now have a nice daily, and long distance driver. I am planning on selling at this point, or spend a few years working on the interior and exterior cosmetics, then sell it for nearly double for those who must have a perfect-looking car.

Yes, you can get a running and driving R2 for $16K, but I bet it will still need lots of work, to include a supercharger rebuild, to make it really a good driver again. With that said, I decided to go for an original, unrestored R2. That was in October, and I am still throwing money at it to make it back on the road. You can see what I started with and what has been done to date at http://forums.aaca.org/f190/avanti-r2-1963-refresh-269244.html

I have had a great time bringing this Avanti back from the dead. Yes, it costs money, I figure I have close to 15K in it now and need to spend at least another 5K to make it a great driver. Still a lot cheaper than any other performance car that I know of.

John in VA

• 2 months later...

sold

not from the dead, but mine http://avanti.sterkel.org is mechanically updated/fixed with my slow-and-steady approach. I now have a nice daily, and long distance driver. I am planning on selling at this point, or spend a few years working on the interior and exterior cosmetics, then sell it for nearly double for those who must have a perfect-looking car.

Hello,

Can I get a price range for a 63 or 64 R2 in nice restored condition. I've always enjoyed seeing them and now I'd like to have one,

thanks,

Dave

Chalk Hill Pa

Hello,

Can I get a price range for a 63 or 64 R2 in nice restored condition. I've always enjoyed seeing them and now I'd like to have one,

thanks,

Dave

Chalk Hill Pa

I bought a 64R2 last year for about $13K, after all the restoration I have $35K invested. I am pleased with the completed work; strip & paint, all new rubber(doors-windows trunk-hood), rebuilt trans & torque converter, replaced shocks,springs,brakes,all hoses&belts,interior carpet,replaced all front end suspension parts,show chrom front & rear bumper-bonnet and valve covers. After getting the car back; 3 months later, an idiot of a woman driving with her knee,on her cell phone & putting on makeup, ran into the back of my car while I was at a stop light. She hit me hard enough to brake the motor mounts, so you can imagine the damage. Best yet, she had NO insurance ! Good luck

Edited by MARK